none
Windows Update Agent API, Multiple download URLS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Im using the WUA API to get downloads for an offline system. I have a problem with an update I searched and found on the offline system
    that was french instead of english. Most of the files were english except one office update. How can I get the download url for every type of
    language using WUA API?

Also, is there a way to get all bundled updates in for example .NET April 2017 rollup for example. looking at the KB in windows catalog there are many files
    but only one large bundled KB. The reason is that the individual KBs are for different versions of .NET and I would like to have control of each file.
    Eg. 2 for 4.6 and one for 4.5 etc.

Kind regards,

Signed

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, July 7, 2017 4:38 PM This is not "help me write a replacement for Windows update tool" forum
    Monday, May 8, 2017 5:39 PM

All replies

• Updates will only be applied to programs that are already installed.

The best way to get al updates is to go online and select them in the catalog and then download them as a batch.

https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=kb*

The PowerShell module will let you batch search for updates and download them.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/04/21/taking-your-feedback-on-the-security-update-guide/

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 8, 2017 5:51 PM
  • The computer I must update is offline so i need to get a list of all updates and then download them.

I have created the list and downloaded all updates similar to WSUS Offline tool
    but I choose to download only what I need. I need to download about 100+ updates and that is too tedious in windows catalog manually.

So; so far I have gotten the download urls for most of my needed updates but one was french and I cant figure out how to enforce an en-us file instead. The list must be there hidden somewhere in WUA API.

I do seem the get all updates installed except those with EULA since I'm running a batch script silent and havent figured out how to run them and autoaccept. ACCEPTEULA=1 does not work...

Thanks for the security guidance. That was neat, though I would like to have had the downloadUrl as well directly to the security patch so I could have ripped it :)

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:24 PM
  • If it is offline you cannot get a list of updates.  Updates are only available online event with WUA.

I would install MBSA and download the catalog to a thumb drive and run it with MBSA which will tell y9ou about all missing updates and their correct links.  That is what MBSA is distributed for.  It is basically a front end for WU that generates a nice HTML report with all links.  The HTML is generated from an XML file of needed updates and security issues.  YOU can query the XML for all links and download them with PowerShell.

MBSA can be fully automated and run as a scheduled task.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 8, 2017 6:33 PM
  • That is not completely true. Using wsusscn2.cab you can use WUA API to scan for needed updates and then go to another computer and download the suggested updates by prior query the downloadURL. BUT it will only give me a suggested downloadURL and there are no Interfaces in the WUA-API connecting to the other downloadURLs for the other languages. I have however found the other language-download URLs in the wsusscn2.cab but cannot not find a pattern to use in order to search for them when wanting to switch language.

Perhaps I could parse using LINQ and then use a similarity search to find best matches to a certain update.
    MBSA may do the trick but still must download manually. But could be the next best thing...

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Which is why you should use MBSA.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:34 PM
  • Now there is a way :) Found that you can strip the downloadURL from HTTP to Language param: FR-FR and replace it with EN-US. Then search for that in the wsusscn2.cab file :)

Monday, May 8, 2017 7:47 PM
  • The updates are matched by the language settings of the session it is run under or by the base language of the system.

You should be getting only e-US updates unless other language packs are installed.

Also you may have the wrong catalog file.  Check to be sure it is the correct language.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Monday, May 8, 2017 7:58 PM
    Monday, May 8, 2017 7:54 PM
  • Localizations

MBSA releases are available for German, Japanese, and French.

The

WSUSSCN2.CAB file is localized to all supported languages and is automatically downloaded and used by the tool for any client language or locale being scanned. Results are stored in the report based on the MBSA installation language.

Issues

Problems discovered during the scoping of this project:

• Microsoft is not supporting the

Nobackup feature for WES 7 Security Updates. This is a crucial and impacting change, as the addition of monthly Security Updates expands the Image footprint from month to month.

• The current catalog files must be downloaded from the Internet before an OFF-line mode scan. It is strongly recommended that these files be downloaded on a weekly basis to ensure that the current security database is being used for scanning.

• Installation history (explicitly installed/effectively installed) no longer reflects those updates that have been superseded by another update. The behavior of this feature follows the behavior for missing updates, where only the most recent non-superseded update is shown.

• Workaround: Refer to the bulletin, fixlist, or TechNet search page to identify each previous bulletin that has been included in the update in question from the Current Update Compliance listing.

See: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657476.pdf

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, May 8, 2017 8:02 PM