WHS won't start up RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running a WHS on a home-build machine for over a year without any problems what-so-ever.  I have a mixture of laptops, netbooks and desktops with WinXP, Vista, and Win7, 32-bit and 64-bit - again all has been fine. Yesterday I noticed a 'Backup Service is not Running' error notice on one of my clients. I opened the console, it listed all my machines, but only a couple were properly identified as to state, and operating system.  I did a quick web search and decided to reboot the server (it has a monitor attached).  The server restarts to the WHS splash screen, then the monitor goes blank and nothing else happens from there.  It doesn't complete a start-up and is never available to the networked machines.

FYI, I have 2 HDs installed, with it set for the most important info to be duplicated on both discs, so I'm not in a panic...yet.

Can I get some direction/help here? 
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:23 PM

Answers

• I've been running a WHS on a home-build machine for over a year without any problems what-so-ever.  I have a mixture of laptops, netbooks and desktops with WinXP, Vista, and Win7, 32-bit and 64-bit - again all has been fine. Yesterday I noticed a 'Backup Service is not Running' error notice on one of my clients. I opened the console, it listed all my machines, but only a couple were properly identified as to state, and operating system.  I did a quick web search and decided to reboot the server (it has a monitor attached).  The server restarts to the WHS splash screen, then the monitor goes blank and nothing else happens from there.  It doesn't complete a start-up and is never available to the networked machines.

FYI, I have 2 HDs installed, with it set for the most important info to be duplicated on both discs, so I'm not in a panic...yet.

I would start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server (starting with the primary drive).  You can pull it from the server, connect it to a client and run chkdsk /r there.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:37 AM
  • I have the same issue with my WHS, it will never restart on it's own.  I have more drives (10 at this point).   The only way to get it to start is to pull or swap the positions of 2 or more drives.

WHS seems to have a problem with the drive subsystem (using that terminology loosely) where it cannot start "again" when the drives are in the same positions as the last startup.   Moving drives will resolve the issue until the next start.

I've yet to see a solution or reason for this problem and I cannot think it is a hardware issue, it's an OS issue and Microsoft should fix it.   I wouldn't be suprised if it's not also present in Windows 2003 Server but I haven't checked.

All of this adds up to a driver issue of some sort, a BIOS issue or (yes) a hardware issue, not an OS issue. The OS relies on supplied drivers and the BIOS to talk to peripherals such as disk drives; if it was an OS issue the reports would be much more wide-spread.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:29 PM

All replies

I would start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server (starting with the primary drive).  You can pull it from the server, connect it to a client and run chkdsk /r there.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:37 AM
  • I have the same issue with my WHS, it will never restart on it's own.  I have more drives (10 at this point).   The only way to get it to start is to pull or swap the positions of 2 or more drives.

WHS seems to have a problem with the drive subsystem (using that terminology loosely) where it cannot start "again" when the drives are in the same positions as the last startup.   Moving drives will resolve the issue until the next start.

I've yet to see a solution or reason for this problem and I cannot think it is a hardware issue, it's an OS issue and Microsoft should fix it.   I wouldn't be suprised if it's not also present in Windows 2003 Server but I haven't checked.
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 7:08 PM

All of this adds up to a driver issue of some sort, a BIOS issue or (yes) a hardware issue, not an OS issue. The OS relies on supplied drivers and the BIOS to talk to peripherals such as disk drives; if it was an OS issue the reports would be much more wide-spread.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 5:29 PM