WGA validation fails, but diagnostic tool shows "genuine". RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using IE7, version 2.

When I try to do a Windows or Microsoft Update, I get the WGA screen, and it fails.

Using the MS GA Diagnostic Tool, it shows the following:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JQX8J-GYGK3-6X6WD
    Windows Product Key Hash: uGUHMlskOcYcAsNQN9VhyjV9b3E=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2111907-00105
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    Download Center code: F7Y9TS9
    ID: abf86f77-639e-4435-87ee-92bfda1a517e
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Any ideas to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance...Dave

Friday, June 16, 2006 3:47 AM

Answers

• We caught the KB905474 snafu very early so only had a couple of test PCs affected about two weeks ago, but we were being warned by WGA that our fully legal (and otherwise up-to-date as of the prior afternoon) PCs with corporate licenses of XP Pro were no longer genuine.  The supposedly re-released (fixed?) KB905474 seems to still be causing the same problem on some test PCs.

We jumped through a number of hoops before landing on a fix and really we just resolved the symptom.  The steps we came up with were as follows:

1. Delete the C:\Windows\System32\LegitCheckControl.dll file.

1. Go to www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/validate.aspx & re-validate.

1. Reboot the PC & log back in.

1. Click the "Get Genuine" button and the little blue star nag icon in the System Tray should go away.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 4:35 PM

All replies

• same problem here.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 4:03 AM
  • We caught the KB905474 snafu very early so only had a couple of test PCs affected about two weeks ago, but we were being warned by WGA that our fully legal (and otherwise up-to-date as of the prior afternoon) PCs with corporate licenses of XP Pro were no longer genuine.  The supposedly re-released (fixed?) KB905474 seems to still be causing the same problem on some test PCs.

We jumped through a number of hoops before landing on a fix and really we just resolved the symptom.  The steps we came up with were as follows:

1. Delete the C:\Windows\System32\LegitCheckControl.dll file.

1. Go to www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/validate.aspx & re-validate.

1. Reboot the PC & log back in.

1. Click the "Get Genuine" button and the little blue star nag icon in the System Tray should go away.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 4:35 PM
  • Dave:

Can you give me the error codes you see during the failure?

-phil liu

Friday, June 16, 2006 5:53 PM
  • The error code is in the upper right hand corner of the Update Window and is as follows:

Validation Incomplete:  Unable to Perform Validation

0x80080299

Thanks!  Dave

Friday, June 16, 2006 8:01 PM
  • I've had the same problem and the same error code and, although MS tech support has been working w/ me for maybe 3 weeks, they've been unable to solve the problem; today I browsed this forum, found and tried the fix suggested by Jazzdude921, it worked instantly.

Sort of disconcerting, huh?

Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:32 AM
  • Wow...that worked for me too.  I looked at the old file, and it was dated 5/6, while the new one was dated 6/2.  Apparently, the Windows Update and Microsoft Update are not updating that file automatically for some odd reason.

Thanks so much for the work-around.  Blessings to you!

Dave

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:42 AM