Installing on existing computer w/Vista64 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I will be installing WHS this week on my computer. New, I built it, quad core i7, Intel DX58SO MOBO, 1T drive and plenty pf HD Space. I am adding a 750GB Hard Drive to install and dedicate to WHS and have a couple of questions.
    1. Will I still be able to use the computer seperate from WHS?
    2. What problems should I look for when installing on Vista?
    3. If this won't work, what are some alternatives?
    Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:12 PM

Answers

• I will be installing WHS this week on my computer. New, I built it, quad core i7, Intel DX58SO MOBO, 1T drive and plenty pf HD Space. I am adding a 750GB Hard Drive to install and dedicate to WHS and have a couple of questions.
    1. Will I still be able to use the computer seperate from WHS?

I suppose you could (if you can set up the dual-boot), but I would not recommend it.

2. What problems should I look for when installing on Vista?

You can't.  WHS automatically formats all attached drives at the time of installation.  And if you disconnected the drive during installation, but connected it later on (and assuming you can set up a dual-boot on it), you will always have a "Not Added" drive in the Console.  However, one wrong click in the Console and that drive gets formatted and gets added to your server storage pool.

3. If this won't work, what are some alternatives?

Although unsupported, you could set up WHS in a VM (which is what I do for testing purposes).  However, if you want to use WHS and get the full benefits of it, you should set it up on its own hardware and let it do its job.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:45 PM