Home Server Console is unable to connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• On one of my PC's (Vista Home Premium), I am no longer able to connect to the server by the Home Server console.  This happened after an update release that I did on all my PC's in mid september.  On my other PC's the new update of the console works fine (they are both XP and Vista Ultimate).  I have tried to reinstall the console but without luck, I have tried to konfigure the firewall, but that was not a problem earlier.  Originally this was the computer that I set up the server with.

I am able to open files and folders, I am even able to log on the server via the console, but the conector showes "Not connected to server" on my taskbar

What can I do?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    is this the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version of Vista?
    Do you have an NVidia chipset on your motherboard?
    If yes, try to upgrade to the latest available chipset drivers.

Before testing the following, please issue a bug report on Connect as stated here.
    Another workaround, which you could try has been posted in the forum thread
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/14e9886c-6004-4f7e-87da-5106276be0a3/
    by K Rock:
    1) Browse to the \\<Server Name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software\
    2) Run 'Setup' as administrator
    3) After the installation fails, close the program
    4) Browse to the local Windows Home Server Directory, usually C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\
    5) Select 'Discovery', Right Click, select copy; Create short-cut on desktop
    6) On the newly created short-cut, right click, select properties.
    7) Select the 'Compatibility' tab, check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', then select Windows 98 / Windows Me
    8) Click OK and run the short cut as administrator.
    9) Follow instructions as normal and the connector should finish the configuration stage.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    can you see any related messages in the event log of your client?
    What happens, if you run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC?
    Do you get an error message?
    Which exactly?
    Which Firewall do you use - the Windows Firewall or some 3rd party product?
    If 3rd party, disable the firewall and try again.

Check also the steps mentioned here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/eldar/archive/2007/04/28/windows-home-server-client-join-troubleshoooting-hints.aspx

Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:58 PM
  • Thanks for reply.  
    I have tried discovery.exe a few times.  The problem is that it stops working.  There is an error message that says it stopped woring, that a problem caused this, and that I will be notified when a solution is available (quicly translated from Norwegian)

I use windows firewall

I checked the blog for help, the only interesting thing I found was:  (see under)  I do get a message about bad certificate, but I have not played with security settings.  What can I do to check this?

Accessing internal site with authentication

You came here because name resolution works, public site is accessible, as well as internal site, but when you typed

https://server:56000/enroll/id.xml

it failed.

Read the error message.

If IE says that access is denied, try to recall your password. You typed it incorrectly.

If IE complains about bad certificate, it means that server join was not able to install WHS certificate. It happens in the rare cases of PC misconfiguration, which usually happens on older systems due to malware or user playing with security settings on the system. This is a very rare case.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Hello,
    (that black-red combo kills my eyes!)
    Seems the software crashed on your Vista PC.
    Could you try to uninstall Windows Home Server connector software, reboot, reinstall?
    Check also, if there are Add-Ons in your Internet Explorer, which may cause issues, and deactivate those (best compare with another PC). Such Add-Ons can be brought from various programs like Internet Explorer toolbars, Pop Up blockers, malware and other programs you may have installed.

Mid of September is a while ago, but you may also check, if there is a system restore point available going back to that date (check, that also older restore points are shown, default setting is to show only the last 5 if I remember correctly) . This should not touch any data in most cases. If this kind of rollback brings the connector online again, it would help to monitor, what exactly causes the issue. So do not install an entire block of software and updates, but only one by one, reboot, check ...

Olaf
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:23 AM
  • Thanks for all help, sorry for the red, it didnt come out as intended.
    Anyway, I tried to uninstall, reboot, and install the original software from cd.   It worked, and the PC is now connected through the console to the server.  But, I do not manage to install the connector software update that the server asks for.  I i mangae to install, but the program that connects to the server during installment stops to work, and the installation stops.  What can be done?
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:58 AM
  • Hello,
    the connector software on CD is outdated, as soon as your server has been upgraded.
    You can install the proper version either from the shortcut
    \\server\software\Home Server Connector Software
    or from the internal webpage of your server:
    http://server:55000
    (Both works only if you left above folder on your server untouched.)

Olaf
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Thanks again, but this I have tried several times, without success, both alternatives.  I get this error message: "Home Server Mini setup has stopped working" ????

As far as I can see all the firewall settings are OK

Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:10 AM
  • Hello,
    is this the 32 bit version or the 64 bit version of Vista?
    Do you have an NVidia chipset on your motherboard?
    If yes, try to upgrade to the latest available chipset drivers.

Before testing the following, please issue a bug report on Connect as stated here.
    Another workaround, which you could try has been posted in the forum thread
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/14e9886c-6004-4f7e-87da-5106276be0a3/
    by K Rock:
    1) Browse to the \\<Server Name>\Software\Home Server Connector Software\
    2) Run 'Setup' as administrator
    3) After the installation fails, close the program
    4) Browse to the local Windows Home Server Directory, usually C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\
    5) Select 'Discovery', Right Click, select copy; Create short-cut on desktop
    6) On the newly created short-cut, right click, select properties.
    7) Select the 'Compatibility' tab, check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:', then select Windows 98 / Windows Me
    8) Click OK and run the short cut as administrator.
    9) Follow instructions as normal and the connector should finish the configuration stage.

Olaf
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 11:32 AM
  • Perfect, it works,  I did the NVida upgrade, and it works after deleting everything, including folders, a restart, and then install from server.  Thanks a lot, it has been really fustrating.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:27 PM