CRM to Outlook Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to copy selected contacts from CRM to Outlook as contacts?

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:57 PM

Answers

• mardukes - 

It would "a" create a duplicate record in CRM.  

Microsoft CRM will not automatically find the duplicate when clicking the Track in CRM for a contact in Outlook. 

The correct process would be to check if the contact already existed in CRM and if it did already exist then set your Local Data settings to bring it down to your outlook instead of creating your version in CRM. 

If you do happen to track a contact from your Outlook into CRM that did already exist I would suggest you follow the following process. This process gets rid of the duplicate and makes sure anyone who was synchronizing to the Contact that you merged and made inactive knows that happened in CRM and knows to go set up to sync the new contact record to their Outlook.

1) Find the duplicates
    2) Update one duplicate to include "Inactive in CRM" in the last name. If it was John Smith update it to John Smith Inactive in CRM.
    3) Then go into CRM and merge the contact records making sure the contacts last name you updated to include "Inactive in CRM" is the one that gets deactivated.
    4) Then set up your Local data settings to bring down the remaining cotnact to your outlook.
    5) Teach users to Delete any contacts that have "Inactive in CRM" in the last name from their outlook and find the correct contact to sync because the contact they have synchronized is now Inactive in CRM.

The only thing affected by your priveledge would be if you had the right to create contacts in CRM or if you cannot see the contact is the duplicate then if you did search first you would not see that you were creating a duplicate. 

Later
       Hoss 

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, May 15, 2009 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:08 PM

All replies

• There is not a copy fucntions but assuming you are using the Microsoft CRM 4.0 Outlook cleint; Yes there is a way out of the box to select contact to bring down to CRM and there are also other ways to make customizations to make it easier for users to do.

The way to do this as is out of the box is to in Outlook to click on CRM --> Modify Local Data Groups
    You can leave the my Contacts if you still want all contacts you own to come down.  You then click New to create a new local data group. In the Data Group select Contact as field. Select Equals and use the lookup to find the exact contacts you want to bring down.  Once you have added all the contacts you want then Click save and give the data group a name that makes sense to you.  

This will work but it is pretty manual to do each time you want a CRM contact to sync to your outlook contacts. 

Another option is to build a custom entity called Sync Users.  This would be a custom entity that has a 1:N from contacts to Sync Users.  This would allow users to define one local data filter and select the contacts they want to sync to Outlook, either by clicking the New Sync User button on each contact, or through workflow to create the Sync user record fro multiple contacts at once.  This custom entity approach still utilizes the Local Data functionality, creating a Sync User Contacts data group selecting all contacts where they are the user that owns the sync user record.  It doesn’t require users to manage multiple filters in the Local Data configuration and can even allow them to remove the My Contacts if needed and just decide which individual contacts to bring down.  (This example is discussed with images in Chapter 5 of Altriva's book Success with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0: Implementing Customer Relationship Management)

I hope that gives you a few ideas to work with.

-Hoss

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:51 PM
  • Create a View containing the data you want
    View
    Press the Excel button
    Save the Excel spreadsheet as type .CSV

Import into an Outlook contact folder 

- Of note Hoss is also correct in that CRM will Sync with Outlook Contacts, but in case that is not what you want the above will work.

Anne  
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:43 PM
  • The CRM Lady said:

Create a View containing the data you want
    View
    Press the Excel button
    Save the Excel spreadsheet as type .CSV

Import into an Outlook contact folder 

- Of note Hoss is also correct in that CRM will Sync with Outlook Contacts, but in case that is not what you want the above will work.

Anne  

but there will be no link between them which means you will be creating duplicate data sets -- strongly recommended against.

why would you NOT set it to putting ALL contacts into Outlook?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:38 PM
  • mardukes -

The reason why many users do not want all contacts to sync to there outlook contacts is because they have no need for all contacts in their companies CRM to be in their outlook contacts.
        Unless you are a pretty small company and everyone has interactions with all of your companies contacts most people do not want all contacts synchronized down to their outlook contacts.  Especially since these days a good portion of people then synchronize their outlook contacts with their phones and they would not want all contacts in their phones.  Just their main business contacts and their friends and family.
        I have seen many CRM systems with 10K plus contacts in a CRM system.  Each sales person would probably only deal with a few hundred on deals they are working so they would not want to pollute their outlook contacts with all those other contacts they would never interact with. 
       Also if there are a lot of contacts and you synchronize all of them to outlook you then have more overhead for it to keep things synchronized.  Best to only bring down those contacts you really want to work with. makes using outlook easier and doesn't affect your computers performance trying to keep thousands of contact records synchronized.

Later
       Hoss
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:49 PM
  • By all I obviously meant all of your own not everyone's.  I'm not sure you could even sync a contact to more than one Outlook.

Besides, it's better to keep users on one point of functionality.  In this case it's the [Track in CRM] button.  Let them un-track rather than perform some administrator function.

We're talking about sales people here.  Have you ever worked as or with them?  BTW, I've done both.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:57 PM
  •   mardukes -

Sorry that my assumption was wrong that you meant all "my" contacts" not all contacts. 
    mardukes said:
    why would you NOT set it to putting ALL contacts into Outlook?

But even just thinking of all my contacts many people will not want all contacts they own to come down to their Outlook.  I personally create a lot of contacts in my own CRM system to round out a companies or people related to deals that are therefore owned by myself in CRM that I do not want to synchronize to my outlook or my phone so I do not synchronize my contacts at all and only synchronize using a custom sync user entity so I can decide which contacts to bring down. 
    Also depending on how your systems security or data migration was done you personally might have a large number of contacts assigned to you that you do not want in your outlook contacts. the reverse could also be true you might not own any of the contacts because others created them first or data migration assigned them to someone else but you still want to bring them down to your outlook.

mardukes said:

I'm not sure you could even sync a contact to more than one Outlook.

Well to answer that question yes multiple people can synchronize a single contact down to their Outlooks having the one contact synchronized to many different outlooks.  That is also something people tend to want to happen very often especially if your company does team selling where many people are working with the same contacts for an opportunity or during client management.  Also managers very often want to bring down select contacts that their sales people are working with in some circumstances because they are dealing with an important client or a big deal and they will want to get involved. 

There are lots of business reasons to support the request "to copy selected contacts from CRM to Outlook as contact"

Later
       Hoss  

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:15 PM
  • So, if I were to enter a contact in Outlook and track him and someone else had already put him in this would:

a) create a duplicate record in CRM that would have to be merged to sync multiply?

b) sync to the existing contact?

c) deny it?

And would this depend on privilege to the existing contact?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 8:21 PM
  • mardukes - 

It would "a" create a duplicate record in CRM.  

Microsoft CRM will not automatically find the duplicate when clicking the Track in CRM for a contact in Outlook. 

The correct process would be to check if the contact already existed in CRM and if it did already exist then set your Local Data settings to bring it down to your outlook instead of creating your version in CRM. 

If you do happen to track a contact from your Outlook into CRM that did already exist I would suggest you follow the following process. This process gets rid of the duplicate and makes sure anyone who was synchronizing to the Contact that you merged and made inactive knows that happened in CRM and knows to go set up to sync the new contact record to their Outlook.

1) Find the duplicates
    2) Update one duplicate to include "Inactive in CRM" in the last name. If it was John Smith update it to John Smith Inactive in CRM.
    3) Then go into CRM and merge the contact records making sure the contacts last name you updated to include "Inactive in CRM" is the one that gets deactivated.
    4) Then set up your Local data settings to bring down the remaining cotnact to your outlook.
    5) Teach users to Delete any contacts that have "Inactive in CRM" in the last name from their outlook and find the correct contact to sync because the contact they have synchronized is now Inactive in CRM.

The only thing affected by your priveledge would be if you had the right to create contacts in CRM or if you cannot see the contact is the duplicate then if you did search first you would not see that you were creating a duplicate. 

Later
       Hoss 

• Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, May 15, 2009 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:08 PM