External HD backup with FAT32 not recommended??? RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a new portable external HD to use as a backup device for my laptop. When I went to set LiveOne to use this as the backup device, it said it did not recommend a FAT32 device, and said it recommended something else, the name of which I don't recall.

I just bought this Western Digital My Passport Essential Protable Hard Drive. I am backing up my files to it now.

Please explain to me what the problem is with using this device. Also, other than buying another new external hard drive, what can I do to use this one successfully.

Thak you.

mac22003
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 10:20 AM

Answers

• NTFS is the recommended file system for One Care backup devices. This article explains the differences between FAT32 and NTFS - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx  To format the external drive, right click My Computer, select Manage, in the Computer Management Console select Disc Management in the left pane then select your external drive in the right pane, right click the external drive and select format, select NTFS. Formatting will erase all data on the drive. If you have data on the drive that you wish to keep you can use the convert command to convert the drive from FAT32 to NTFS without data loss. To convert the file system open Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command prompt. In the command indow type  "convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs" without the quotes and (drive letter) would be the drive letter of your external drive. For example if your external drive is your F: drive the command would be convert F: /fs:ntfs. 
    Jim
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 1:15 PM