none
SyncToy 2.1 gets stuck, and can I delete files that start SyncToy_? RRS feed

• Question

• Deepa Choundappan said that “Synctoy 2.0 got stuck at about 60-70% when attempting to sync a 'small' 30 gig folder.”  He found that Synctoy 2.1 does not get stuck.

Here is my problem.  I have two large external hard drives.  I want to sync them.  For purposes of this example, let’s call them Drive X and Drive Y.  They are very similar, because I have synced them before.  But, there are some changes to both – they are used on different computers. 

I have a new computer and have downloaded Synctoy 2.1.  Running the Preview, it does get stuck about 60-70%, maybe 80%. 

I’ve read that the only limitations on SyncToy is the configuration of the computer.  This is an Intel Core i7 with Win 8.1 and 12 Gigs of Ram. 

What could be preventing “Preview” from completing?

I have another question, perhaps it is related.  In the folders on each hard drive are files called SyncToy with a bunch of letters and numbers and dashes.  What are these files?  Could they be left from the old computer before a downloaded and installed SyncToy 2.1 on the new computer?  Should I delete them and let SyncToy 2.1 treat Drive X and Drive Y as a new folder pair?

Deepa ChoundappanDeepa ChoundappanDeepa ChoundappanDeepa ChoundappanDeepa Choundappan

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:14 AM

All replies

• I have new DELL laptop with Intel i7 4th Gen 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD. I sync my files with external 2 TB HDD. I am doing this since XP days and it worked well on Windows 7 64 bit. Now on Windows 8.1 synctoy 2.1 stucks forever on some small files.
    Sunday, July 13, 2014 8:27 PM