Media Center validating problems RRS feed

• Question

• ok i have an oem blue/green coa windows media center product key from dell.  i did a clean install of my media center and when i entered the key it would not allow it.  so i quickly found a key online just to get it to install and then i was going to change it later using the product key changer.  well it will not let me change it and i dont have my original cds that came from dell and im not waiting for them to send me new ones either.  is there a way i can get my original cd key validated so i can update my computer?

Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:40 AM

Answers

• Morning Onelovekir,

Please tell me exactly what happened after you installed the product key located on the COA. Did you receive any error messages and if so please provide us with the messaging. Did you receive a reinstallation software media with the system? If so this will allow a restoration process of the system back to factory settings.  Next we need you to run the MGA diagnostic test and post the results back in this thread. This will allow us to analyze the problem and provide you with a resolve. Below are the steps for you to follow:

Please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:16 PM

All replies

• please... i need my computer back to normal can anyone help me?  got this computer from dell a couple years ago and its out of its warranty and i lost the original disks but i have my backup... but for some reason it wont let me enter my OEM product key that is on my machine.  how do i enter that key so i can validate it and update my software via windows updates?

Saturday, September 15, 2007 8:13 PM
  • so i guess people at microsoft and people of this forum dont help people like me huh..... ok

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Morning Onelovekir,

Please tell me exactly what happened after you installed the product key located on the COA. Did you receive any error messages and if so please provide us with the messaging. Did you receive a reinstallation software media with the system? If so this will allow a restoration process of the system back to factory settings.  Next we need you to run the MGA diagnostic test and post the results back in this thread. This will allow us to analyze the problem and provide you with a resolve. Below are the steps for you to follow:

Please download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 5:16 PM