LOGIN MICROSOFT MONEY SUNSET VERSION RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.  I switched to Quickens after Microsoft stopped supporting Money.  I have some old Money files that I need to review.  I downloaded the Money Sunset Version.   I can open the Sunset Version but I can not open any old files.   I tried to login in several times with my old user name and passport.  I followed the link and changed my password.  I still can not open any of the old files.  I have tried with the old password and the new password. 

How can I reveiw my of Money files?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

• In Money, File->Restore looks for *.mbf files. The method below is an alternative to starting the restore from within Money.

Close Money. In Windows Explorer (WindowsKey+E), right-click the  "Money 2009 Backup 0.mbf" file in Documents, and choose Properties. Un-tick Read-only at the bottom. Click OK. Open Money by right-clicking the *.mbf file in the Documents folder. Choose Open. During restore, do not restore to the suggested remembered location, but instead click Browse and choose a new name and location in the Documents folder.

During restore, do not restore to the suggested remembered location, but instead click Browse and choose a new name and location in the Documents folder.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• If the file you are trying to open in Sunset are US files from Money 2003 or earlier, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us to try to convert to Sunset.

For your files with passport/LiveID, disconnect from the Internet. Try to open the file "offline" using the credentials that were in effect at the time the file was created.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:33 AM
  • Thank you disconnect from the Internet worked on one of the old files.  I found a disc "Money 2009 Backup 0.mbf" size 74,271 KB date modified 2/10/97.  I can't open or restore from the disc.  I purchased Microsoft Money every year when the software was released.  Microsoft Money (*.mny) does not find any files of the disc.  I also had the same problem with a couple of files stored on the C Drive Microsoft Money "The path name is invalid use a valid path name."  I guess the problem may be with the extension "*.mny" that Money Sunet is looking for.  The "*.mbf" are on all my old files.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:32 AM
  • I am pleased to hear that you got into one of the problem files successfully. You can remove the LiveID / Password from that file with File->PasswordManager.

Regarding the ""Money 2009 Backup 0.mbf" size 74,271 KB date modified 2/10/97" disk, is it really dated with a 1997 date?  Regardless of the date, it looks to me as if it is a file produced incidentally to a restore of a backup file.

If you have problems with a pathname as you are trying to restore, close Money. Copy the file you are trying to access to your Documents folder. In Windows Explorer, open Money by right-clicking the *.mbf file in the Documents folder. Choose Open. During restore, do not restore to the suggested remembered location, but instead click Browse and choose a new name and location in the Documents folder.

Note that you can continue to use your Money files and even download statements from your broker and get price quotes. Search for discussions on PocketSense if you are interested in that.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 2:39 PM
  • The first sentence is amended to read "Money 2009 Backup 0.mbf" date modified 2/10/09 at 7:40 AM Microsoft Money 74,721 KB.

The file is on a disc.  I copied the file to the desktop Libraries directory into Documents Library.  The Restore is looking for a Microsoft Money (*.mny).  The .mbf is not viewable and there are no all files selection.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:47 PM
  • In Money, File->Restore looks for *.mbf files. The method below is an alternative to starting the restore from within Money.

Close Money. In Windows Explorer (WindowsKey+E), right-click the  "Money 2009 Backup 0.mbf" file in Documents, and choose Properties. Un-tick Read-only at the bottom. Click OK. Open Money by right-clicking the *.mbf file in the Documents folder. Choose Open. During restore, do not restore to the suggested remembered location, but instead click Browse and choose a new name and location in the Documents folder.

During restore, do not restore to the suggested remembered location, but instead click Browse and choose a new name and location in the Documents folder.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:09 PM
  • OMG!  Thank you so much!  I tried for a couple of weeks to get all other methods elsewhere to work.  This worked for me!  Woohoo!  Thank you again!
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Dear Moderator, I tried your method, but I cannot open any Money files. Any previous files including mbf files are rejected at Live ID login. Any ideas? 

I have just read "People using LiveID (Passport) in Microsoft Money should turn that off" http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/money/thread/c2fe2b16-65cf-460a-9423-7e6464228730 .

I followed your steps, disconnected from the net, changed the date etc. I still cannot login to my previous files. You said that leaving Live ID was not a huge problem.

I have changed my Live ID password once, but reset it to the old one. Could this be the cause?

• Edited by Agesaki Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:38 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:30 AM
  • You will need to use the credentials in effect, both email address and password, to get into your file.  If you are not sure, carefully try each possiblity while disconnected from the internet. Is there any doubt about the login credentials in effect when the file was saved? I suggest you write down the information or other possiblities as you remember it.

The password of the LiveID is case-sensitive.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Thank you Cal!

After all, my problem was a wrong password. It's hard to believe because the problem was too simple. . . .

I was so preoccupied with another password problem. I guess we sometimes need to reset ourselves to clear our mind. . . .

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:30 PM
  • I have downloaded & installed Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. I have backup file (.mbf) that has been backing up from My Money 2006 (14.0.120.1105). I want to restore the data from this backup file into my new Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. I have tried unticking the Read-only at the bottom in Properties for the backup file, and then opening by right clicking on it & choosing open + choosing a new name & location in the Documents folder as suggested, but I get a message which reads: "Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version of Money" Any suggestions welcome as I have tried everything I can think of
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:00 PM
  • I have downloaded & installed Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. I have backup file (.mbf) that has been backing up from My Money 2006 (14.0.120.1105). I want to restore the data from this backup file into my new Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe. I have tried unticking the Read-only at the bottom in Properties for the backup file, and then opening by right clicking on it & choosing open + choosing a new name & location in the Documents folder as suggested, but I get a message which reads: "Money can't open this file because it was created using a different version of Money" Any suggestions welcome as I have tried everything I can think of

Money Plus Deluxe Sunset can only read US and Canadian files. You need to uninstall that download and install the Money 2005 for your country to be able to read your existing file. If you have a problem, after that, look for your recent *.m14 file. Copy that to mike.mny and open that copy.

See the links on the first (sticky) post on this forum.

Incidentally, 14.0.120.1105 is Money 2005.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:18 PM