none
My First Certification (MCTS) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Professionals,

I am intending to pursue my first MCTS certification and I was hoping to get your opinion/suggestions in this matter.

As for my background, I am a 2nd year university student in mathematics. For my program I had to take C programming and next year I'll be taking Java. Right now I am working as a Student DBA on campus (we use Oracle/ColdFusion). I am also very well acquainted with VB6 and PHP and I worked as a web-designer before.

In the future I would like to get into financial modeling. I have been learning C#, on and off, since .NET 3.0 and now I'd like to take things seriously and get certified. I am considering Exam 70-511 (.NET Framework 4, Windows Applications) as my first certification. Please let me know what you think about this or if I should pursue a different certification or if you have any suggestions regarding this. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you!

Mikhail

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Mikhail,

This is very much a matter of opinion.  But I would do 70-536 Foundation Certificate.  This is not required for the .Net 4.0 exams, but with your interest in doing modelling, your mathematics background and the fact that you are still a student I think means that showing you know the ground work, including threading, is moe interesting to employers and more useful to you.  Then look at GUI programming 70-511 would then be good choice.

Good Luck,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by mikhail.n Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:51 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:50 PM