Moving from Vista Business to Vista Home Premium RRS feed

• Question

• I worked for a company that had me use a copy of Vista Business at home on each of my PCs (I upgraded my full version of XP Professional on one and XP home on the other - which I still have each cd and license).

Since I do not work for the company anymore I can not continue to use their Vista Licenses. I purchased Home Premium (Upgrade) for one machine and Home basic (Upgrade) for the other. I have seen many articles about downgrading from Vista to XP, but I was wondering before I attempt it. Are there issues changing from Vista Business to Vista home Premium/Basic. Can it be done just by entering in the new key and/or contacting vista activation via phone?

I would prefer not to reinstall XP then install Vista Home Premium/Basic.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:35 PM

Answers

• One cannot downgrade from Windows Vista Business edition to Vista Home Premium or Home Basic.  Nor can you upgrade from Windows XP Professional to Windows Home Premium or Basic.  You'll need to return the upgrade versions of Vista you purchased and purchase the full versions, then perform a clean install.  However, you can perform a clean install of Windows XP Home edition and then upgrade to Windows Home Basic on that one PC using the upgrade version of Windows Home Basic you already purchased.

Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:12 PM

All replies

• One cannot downgrade from Windows Vista Business edition to Vista Home Premium or Home Basic.  Nor can you upgrade from Windows XP Professional to Windows Home Premium or Basic.  You'll need to return the upgrade versions of Vista you purchased and purchase the full versions, then perform a clean install.  However, you can perform a clean install of Windows XP Home edition and then upgrade to Windows Home Basic on that one PC using the upgrade version of Windows Home Basic you already purchased.

Upgrade Paths from Previous Versions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:12 PM
  • i was running buisness on a sony viao vgntz150nb..wanted home premium..did a clean install

w/ home premium upgrade version over vista buisness.. it worked... for about a month..

all i lost was functionality of the fingerprent gismo..

Note: the copy of home premium upgrade i had, was already being used on comp in the kitchen..

so.. today (a month later) vista wouldnt boot due to license validity issues..

Sony is sending recovery disc (w/ buisness) in mail and should arrive tomorrow..

this sounds like the cheapest way out.. ill probably run buisness for now..

ill buy a full version of home premium later..hey..! my fingerprint gismo will work again!!

Friday, January 4, 2008 3:31 AM
  • <quote>

i was running buisness on a sony viao vgntz150nb..wanted home premium..did a clean install

w/ home premium upgrade version over vista buisness.. it worked... for about a month..

</quote>

...for the record, i think most people assume that a 'clean install' is an install performed on an empty hard disc or at least an empty partition.  installing over an existing OS is not a clean install unless the new installation makes a point to format the drive before installing.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:09 PM