Design Question - Multi site Office. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out what the best method of deploying Office Communication Server R2 would be for my company... Currently we have OCS (non R2) running Standard edition off a single server. We have a LAN extension between sites, and all users just home to that one pool. Currently only used for IM.

Now here's the Delema.. 2 Sites... Each site has it's own MITEL 3300 phone server, but calls come into one site and are directed to the other based on Extension..

All calls come into site A, and are transfered to the 3300 at site B if the extension is homed to the other 3300... If Site A's 3300 dies? then call are directed via our carrier to site B's 3300..

What's the best plan here? 1 BACKEND server with 2 Enterprise FRONT ENDS (one at each site for now)

or

Would it be possible to have 2 Standard edition servers? One at each site, with 2 seperate pools (SITE A pool/SITE B Pool)?

Should I have a Mediation server at each site with that sites Mitel 3300 pointed to it for SIP?

Seems all the Multi Site info out there shows Only 1 BE server cluster with only Front end's at each site... What if the link goes down between the sites? one set of FE's won't be able to see their database... This is why I was thinking either 2 seperate Enterprise Edition deploys (one at each site.. IE 1 BE and consolidated FE) or  2 Standard Edition Deploys (one at each site)

Any input or thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:22 PM

Answers

• Each site can have it's own Edge server which would be associated with the local server/pool.  External Client login and federation traffic will still only route to the Access Edge role on the primary site (sip. record) but the Web Conf and A/V Conf traffic will be routed to the site's local Edge server.

See this article for more details: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=70

Also, the Mediation server cannot be collocated on another OCS server, it requires a separate host.  They are also deployed in a 1:1 relationship of Mediation Servers to Media Gateways/IP-PBXs.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:06 PM
  • The Archiving Server components are not supported on the Enterprise Edition server; it should be installed on a separate server.  But, the Archiving databases can be collocated in the same SQL instance as the Enterprise Edition back-end pool databases.

Also, Archiving servers can be associated with one or more pools, so you could use either 1 or 2 Archiving servers to handle your two pools.

Friday, October 2, 2009 3:21 PM

All replies

• You could easily do two separate Standard Edition servers, although client sign-in will be a consideration.  If both servers will handle users in the same SIP domain than Automatic Sign-in can only point to one server, so ideally you'd need to point users in Site B manually (using GPO) to their local Front-End server, otherwise losing the inter-site link would prevent OCS users from being able to sign-in even though they still have access to their local server.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:25 PM
  • OK.... So if I do 2 Standard edition servers... a couple questions.

Can I use Edge servers in the future with Standard, to allow external access "CWA?"

If I try to lookup an IM converstation between 2 users (one from each site), I'm guessing I'll have to run the script on both DB's and piece together the conversation ?

And, Can the Mediation server role run on Standard Edition? Or should this be on a seperate machine? I need 1 at each site to connect to my Mitel 3300's

Thanks

Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Each site can have it's own Edge server which would be associated with the local server/pool.  External Client login and federation traffic will still only route to the Access Edge role on the primary site (sip. record) but the Web Conf and A/V Conf traffic will be routed to the site's local Edge server.

See this article for more details: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=70

Also, the Mediation server cannot be collocated on another OCS server, it requires a separate host.  They are also deployed in a 1:1 relationship of Mediation Servers to Media Gateways/IP-PBXs.

Thursday, October 1, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Thanks Jeff..... So I've nailed it down here

We're going to go with EE... 

Backend DB at SITE A, replicated to a DB at SITE B
    Both SITE A and B will have one Physical box with 3 VM's(Running HYPER-V) (One for FE, one for Mediation server, and one for UM) (we only have 200 users/site)
    SITA A will have one EDGE Server for CWA.

This should allow us room to grow, by deploying another Physical with a couple more VM's

Now one more question... Can the Monitoring/Archiving server co-exist with the FE, and do I need a Monitoring/Archiving server for each FE Pool at each site?

Thanks
    Friday, October 2, 2009 2:41 PM
  • The Archiving Server components are not supported on the Enterprise Edition server; it should be installed on a separate server.  But, the Archiving databases can be collocated in the same SQL instance as the Enterprise Edition back-end pool databases.

Also, Archiving servers can be associated with one or more pools, so you could use either 1 or 2 Archiving servers to handle your two pools.

Friday, October 2, 2009 3:21 PM