Genuine Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had, at one point: Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. It has been saying (for awhile) that this copy of Windows is not genuine. I can finally read documents in Word, Excel, PPoint that I already created, but I can't compose new ones. What to do?

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Katherine,

You haven't provided enough information for me to give a concrete cause and fix for your Office issue, but I will provide the most likly scenarios.

1) Scenario: Some Pre-built computers (from companies such as Dell, HP and so on) include a Trial version of Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and so on). After the trial period has expired, Office will only open files, but the user is unable to edit existing files or create new files. 
         Resolution: The user must upgrade Office to a Retail Product Key to, again, have the ability to edit existing files and create new files.

2) Scenario: Retail versions of Office can be used a specific number of times (without being Activated), but if the user continues to use Office without Activating it, Office will disallow user to edit existing files or create new files.
         Resolution: The user must Activate Office to, again, have the ability to edit existing files and create new files.

As for Windows displaying the "this copy of Windows is not genuine" message, I am unable to guess what the issue is without addition information from you.  So, in order to recieve the best support, we request all users initially go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click the "Validate Windows" button. If there are any problems, look to the lower left of the page for a light gray error code similar to this [0xc004c4a8]. Record this code then run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report and the error code, into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:41 PM