Need To Fix This Connection Issue - And I am *Stumped* !!! RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am a long time user of WHS, and overall, it's been *flawless* for me for years.

Over the last week I have not been able to use the Console from any of my clients. I can do an RDC session in to the server, and the Console runs on the WHS... but I cannot connect from any workstation.

I discovered this when one of my drives began to fail, and attempted to perform a restore to the new drive...

I have gone through the FAQ, and here is what I do know:

Backups run fine.
    Discovery run as administrator fails with the "This operation cannot be completed at this time - Please try again later. If problem persists contact Product Support"
    I uninstalled the Windows Home Server Connector, and it will NOT reinstall - similar error to the Discovery error
    Shares are fully accessible
    All drives are fine, no errors indicated
    Network Health indicators come through as always
    I have uninstalled the server's nVidia drivers and it is running STD Vga now
    I have updated client video drivers - 8800GT's
    The remote access server portion of WHS is off/disabled
    There are ZERO Add-ins
    Steps 1, 2, 3, 5 on the Advanced Connector Troubleshooter are 100% green
    Step 4 has some errors but they appear to be in relation to the webserver - which I assume is producing errors due to the fact that it is turned off in WHS Settings.
    I had been running DynaDNS, but changed back to ISP based DNS 3 or 4 months ago.
    All clients are Windows 7 or Vista - All patched up to today.

I did notice that the ASP.Net WAS set to V1.X in IIS, so I set it to 2.X selection and restarted the services... and it made no difference.. Rebooted and the ASP.Net version in use listed under IIS/Websites = 1.1.4322, and the version listed under IIS/Websites/WHS Site = 2.0.50727 - So I am thinking I did not do that right...

Basically, nothing has changed recently except patches - The WHS took patches on June 16th - Ten of them to be exact, and I suspect that is when the trouble started.

Looking for suggestions of what to do next...

All help appreciated!

All you folks in the USA - Happy 4th Of July - Do Something Independent This Weekend!
    Saturday, July 3, 2010 11:26 PM

All replies

• Greetings,

I am a long time user of WHS, and overall, it's been *flawless* for me for years.

Over the last week I have not been able to use the Console from any of my clients. I can do an RDC session in to the server, and the Console runs on the WHS... but I cannot connect from any workstation.

I discovered this when one of my drives began to fail, and attempted to perform a restore to the new drive...

I have gone through the FAQ, and here is what I do know:

Backups run fine.
    Discovery run as administrator fails with the "This operation cannot be completed at this time - Please try again later. If problem persists contact Product Support"
    I uninstalled the Windows Home Server Connector, and it will NOT reinstall - similar error to the Discovery error
    Shares are fully accessible
    All drives are fine, no errors indicated
    Network Health indicators come through as always
    I have uninstalled the server's nVidia drivers and it is running STD Vga now
    I have updated client video drivers - 8800GT's
    The remote access server portion of WHS is off/disabled
    There are ZERO Add-ins
    Steps 1, 2, 3, 5 on the Advanced Connector Troubleshooter are 100% green
    Step 4 has some errors but they appear to be in relation to the webserver - which I assume is producing errors due to the fact that it is turned off in WHS Settings.
    I had been running DynaDNS, but changed back to ISP based DNS 3 or 4 months ago.
    All clients are Windows 7 or Vista - All patched up to today.

I did notice that the ASP.Net WAS set to V1.X in IIS, so I set it to 2.X selection and restarted the services... and it made no difference.. Rebooted and the ASP.Net version in use listed under IIS/Websites = 1.1.4322, and the version listed under IIS/Websites/WHS Site = 2.0.50727 - So I am thinking I did not do that right...

Basically, nothing has changed recently except patches - The WHS took patches on June 16th - Ten of them to be exact, and I suspect that is when the trouble started.

Looking for suggestions of what to do next...

All help appreciated!

All you folks in the USA - Happy 4th Of July - Do Something Independent This Weekend!
    Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server?
    Sunday, July 4, 2010 4:56 AM