none
whs v1 won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large whs v1 server with 10 2tb drives.  They are about 55% full.  Lots of movies saved from dvd's.

The server has run fine for about 2-3 years.  I need to find a way to fix this without losing my data....I don't have anything with enough storage to copy the data.  HELP please

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

well, your server won't boot. From your description I assume its a machine, which has not the limitations of a standard WHS appliance without monitor and such. So some clarifying questions.

• How old is the hardware truly? How much dust has it collected inside, which might cause heat issues, blocked coolers etc.?
    • How far the boot process goes? Is an error showing up on screen indicating a disk error?
    • Do you have tried to press F8 and select Last known good configuration and/or disabled automated reboot on error?
    • Could you boot the machine from a Windows 7 or Windows 8 installation stick and use its repair environment to open a cmd prompt and to run chkdsk /r against the system volume?

The regular way to fix the installation would be a server reinstallation by booting from the WHS DVD. This should keep your data intact, but if you have not fixed the original reason why the server did not boot anymore, the problem may raise its head during the installation process.

Since you have 55% free, you would still have empty disks in the server, which you could use during a fresh install, while volumes containing data stay physically disconnected until have completed the server installation and updates then you have move the data to the new shares before adding the disk to the storage pool again. Where the data can be found, is explained in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:38 AM