My system drive full when there is more space available! RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone!

Recently, I ran low on space. My config was the initial 500gb sys drive, another 500gb wd caviar blue, and 2x 1tb caviar black. As more space came in use, the system began using the system drive to store information. I thought it would be a good idea to swap out the 500gb for another 1tb to get another half-tb of space. I used an external 500gb drive to help me with the transition as all other drives were essentially full.

Now my config is the initial 500gb sys drive, and 3x 1tb caviar black. My problem is that the system is not using the 50% of the new 1tb drive and is keeping the system drive full. In addition to the pesky "critical" error message, I can't transfer more than 10gb of files at the same time because the system drive is the "landing pad" and triggers an error message on windows and mac os x.

I tried a server restore today (not factory reset) and it changed nothing.

So the question: How can I make the server utilize remaining storage on the other drives? I also just ordered a esata port multiplier to increase the storage pool, and am hoping that the system drive can be 100% clear (of course, with the exception of the OS and sys files) to maximize the capacity of the landing pad (how it was before...)?

Thanks for all your help!
    --Michael

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael,
    Power Pack 1 is already installed?
    Since adding new storage does not trigger a file relocation, you can try to perform this yourself.
    Download the tool LZreallocator from http://vanelsberg.homeserver.com/public/whs/LZreallocator.zip and run it on your WHS.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:48 AM
  • Olaf,

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit weary of installing some software on my WHS. Is there another method to this? I am running PP1...

Thanks for your speedy response!
    --Michael
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Hi Michael,
    usually I am also a bit scary against 3rd party software.
    Theos tool is very small (no installation needed), includes the sources and does nothing, what you could not do manually (filling drive D: outside of the WHS folder structur to enforce WHS starting to relocate files from D: to the other disks)
    Check the readme.txt included in the zip file for details.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:53 AM