locked
An unexpected error has occurred - while trying to reopen a custom risk item RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hey y'all,

    just before the weekend, I return with another question. I've created a new Project Web Site and have begun customizing the risk list that comes with it. Now, I didn't delete any columns nor did I change the field type. I renamed a couple and added one.

    I also modified the item form through List Tools -> List -> Customize Form, deleting all the fields on the form(!) that I did not need.

    I am able to create new risk items with the new form and the modified list. But whenever I try to edit them again, the dreaded unexpected error occurs:

    Can someone help me with that?

    Thanks in advance - and have a nice weekend!

    Friday, September 23, 2011 1:05 PM

Answers

  • Hi Mike, Might you have use the  special charactor in custom list item, sometimes it cause the said issue.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 7:28 PM

All replies

  • Hi Mike,

    I would start with the ULS logs, also might be worth turning off the custom errors in the web.config file so that you see the actual error. When you click the show error details, what is displayed? Anything useful?

    Thanks

    Paul


    Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Friday, September 23, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Well, I narrowed it down to the following scenario:

    The error occurs everytime I manually edit the creation form via "Customize Form". Whenever I delete a field from it (not necessarily from the ones present, but simply removing it being displayed, it seems to "crash" the list. This holds true still if I add the field again. It's broken forever, and I have to restart configuring the list.

    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Hi Mike,

    Please advise what exactly is being removed from the form, I can't replicate this... One thing worth noting is that the Links functionality is not supported in InfoPath so you will loose that functionality with a custom form.. well i got a prompt to notify me of this... :)

    What do the ULS logs show? Have you tried turning of the custom errors? What do you see on the Show error details link?

    Thanks

    Paul


    Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hi Paul, thanks for the reply!

    I worked around the problem eventually by simply creating a list on my own and populating it with the desired columns so there was no need to delete any from the sample risk lists.

    I don't have access to the ULS so I can't tell you what they say - I am no admin on the server.

    Concerning reproducing the error - I'll try to explain en detail what I did. So let's say I didn't need the field "Due Date". What I did was opening the form via "Customize form" in the upper right ribbon. In the editing view, I removed the input field "Due Date" along with its description from the form. I did *not* delete the variable itself - it's still present in the right hand pane with all the others. I closed the form and saved and uploaded it.

    Now what would happen is that I could indeed create new risks and see the original form minus the "Due Date" part. No problems there. But once created, I could not open or edit the risk any longer. It would always give me the error mentioned above.

    Same problem exists if I remove the variable itself from the form. And it persists when I add both the variable and the input field again. The entire list is is broken from that moment on.

    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi Mike,

    I have tested the same steps and removed Due Date from the from but still can't replicate the error.

    Think we will need to see the logs to advise any further.

    Thanks

    Paul


    Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Hi Mike, Might you have use the  special charactor in custom list item, sometimes it cause the said issue.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 7:28 PM