How to Play MIDI Files RRS feed

• Question

• How do I play MIDI files on Windows 10? I have Media Player 12.0 which shows the file playing (the time line moves) but no sound. I have searched the net unsuccessfully to determine how to play MIDI files on Windows 10. Some references suggest starting by going to Control Panel > Drivers. But I cannot find the Driver icon in my Control Panel.

I was able to play MIDI files on XP and maybe Windows 8.

• Moved by Bob Ding Monday, October 9, 2017 9:17 AM Move from WPF forum
    Friday, October 6, 2017 2:44 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about developing an app that uses MIDI?  If not you are definitely in the wrong forum for this question.

Lloyd Sheen

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Looks like I am in the wrong forum. I just want to play MIDI's. Any suggestions for a good forum to try?
    • Edited by tomg2 Friday, October 6, 2017 7:34 PM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 6:25 PM
  • Hi tomg2,

I suppose an adequate forum would be "Windows 10 General".
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

And I would like to suggest to check sound volume (if not muting) and sound device (Playing Device is correctly selected, and/or it works fine in Device Manager).
    If Time Line is moving, Media Player is sure to play MIDI. And if you cannot hear sound, it causes from other than Media Player.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion, Ashidacchi. My Media Player 12.0 plays MP3's but not MIDI's (filename.mid).

I tried opening the MIDI files with Nero Show Time but they will not play there either.

I opened them with Anvil Studio and they do play.

Since MIDI's play on Anvil Studio and MP3's play on Media Player I believe this indicates that the issue is with Media Player and Nero (not muted, playing device is OK).

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:47 PM
  • Hi tomg2,

Now I've checked Windows Media Player in Windows 10, and heard the sound of MIDI files (*.mid). I cannot remember where I got and how installed Windows Media Player and it won't show its version (I guess it is 12).

I suspect Media Player 12 is not set to support MIDI Audio Codec. But, sorry, I cannot find how-to after 30-minutes searching.

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Friday, October 6, 2017 11:51 PM
  • Open Media Player and type Alt-H to open Help window. Then About Windows Media Player to get version. Mine is definitely 12.0.

Maybe this version will not play MIDI's.

Saturday, October 7, 2017 3:08 AM
  • Hi tomg2,

Thank you. I could see the version of my Windows Media Player.
    It's 12.0.15063.608. (I'm using Japanese version of Windows 10.) It can play MIDI.

According to MS's article, Windows Media Player 12 supports/plays MIDI: File types supported by Windows Media Player
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/316992/file-types-supported-by-windows-media-player

Please refer to the article about Codec:
    Codecs: frequently asked questions
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15070/windows-media-player-codecs-frequently-asked-questions

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Saturday, October 7, 2017 4:08 AM
  • My WMP version is 12.0.14393.1715 which is close to yours. 

I selected Help > About Windows Media Player > Technical Support Information. Here are the Audio Codecs that are installed. I do not see any MIDI codecs listed. Is there one shown in your configuration?

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:38 PM
  • I also do not see any MIDI codecs listed in my configuration.

Can you update your WMP?
    [Alt] + [H] > update something ([更新プログラムの確認 (U)] in Japanese)

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:20 AM
  • Tried to update and received this message:

"Your computer is running the most recent version of Windows Media Player and all of its components. No update is available at this time."

Does the MIDI driver appear somewhere in Device Manager?

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:23 PM