PP1 Pre-install question RRS feed

• Question

• Been having problems with my Home Server lately.  The Backup service has not been running.  I have tried everything in the Knowledge Base article to resolve that issue except for completely deleting all my existing backups.

I am wondering if PP1 will even install with the Backup Service not running?  Will it cause even further problems?
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:16 AM

All replies

• Power Pack 1 should install whether the backup service is running or not. It needs to shut that service down to install, so it shouldn't cause a problem if it's already shut down. But installing Power Pack 1 won't correct the issue with your backups. If you're getting a backup database consistency error warning, and you've been getting it for a while, you probably have no option for recovery short of resetting your backup database.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 12:48 PM
  •  Squashman wrote:
    Been having problems with my Home Server lately.  The Backup service has not been running.  I have tried everything in the Knowledge Base article to resolve that issue except for completely deleting all my existing backups.

I am wondering if PP1 will even install with the Backup Service not running?  Will it cause even further problems?

Hello Squashman,

If you have not already submitted a bug for this, could you file one on Connect?

Also, CABs from the server and client(s) would be helpful.  You can use the toolkit to pull CABs unless you are running x64 and then you’ll need to pull the CABs manually from the following locations:

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Thank you

Lara Jones

Windows Home Server

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:54 PM
  • The only error message I can see is it just says the Backup Service is not Running.  I guess I could just go ahead and do the last option from the KB article and reset the backup database.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946339

This seems to be a common issue for alot of people lately.  I hope they resovle this because people can't keep blowing away their backups and restarting everything all over again.

There is all kinds of different error logs in that directory.  I am not sure which ones I should be looking at.  I will try and do the cabs and create a report on the connect site.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:06 PM