Clean Install of WHS 1 Failed RRS feed

• Question

• I far from being an expert when it comes to servers...and it's clear that WHS v.1 might require more expertise when things go wrong. Regardless, it just shouldn’t be this hard. I have been searching the various posts to find something that describes my scenario and while are many coming close, I have not found the exact same problem(s) or solution for my situation. I have an Acer Easystore H340 running WHS 1 and have had great luck with it until now. The drive came with (1) 1TB WD green drive and I ended up adding another of the same about 6 month after owning it so I could use it for folder duplication. I was starting to get errors and the system was coming to gringing halts so I started to assume that the system drive might be on its way out. I picked up a 500GB WD Caviar Black (WD5002AALX) to use as the new system drive. I figured I would just remove the existing drives and start with a clean install. Well this has led to nothing but frustration. My goal was to have disk 0 be a dedicated system drive and I would add storage and replication drives once the new system was installed. Little did I know what an ordeal this would be!

I followed the directions posted here for the proper startup procedure which is similar to instructions I have seen elsewhere; removed connector software on client, held paper clip in reset, power up server,  started recover program > chose factory reset. All goes well for a while and the disk is formatted and the server reboots. During the connector installation the problems begin and after I enter the server name and admin pw I click to go to the next window and the installation program gets hung up and I get an error on a blue screen with a big red X saying that "an error occurred in Windows Home Server Setup" I am asked to go back and try again or restart the wizard. It appears that if I go back the setup will pick up where it left off and continue but I had to do this at least 50 times while the system tried to join the WHS. This kept happening but eventually it makes it the "configuring computer backup" stage. Unfortunately I never make it past this stage and this is where I bail out. I have since tried to install the connector via http://<servername>:55000and this still fails to successfully configure the computer backup as well.

Here's what I know.

• I am able to get into the server via remote desktop. I see that I have a C & D partition but the D is not formatted. Is this normal and do I allows WHS to format it when prompted after opening the D?
    • When I attempt to start the WHS console on the server it will ask for a password for the hardware & health monitor service and as soon I type a character it closes and the consoles flashes for a second and is gone. A message comes up stating that a component is missing.......
    • I found in the WHS event viewer that there is an ID 275 stating that “no volume contains enough space to create the client backup database. At least 20GB is required.” Does this have anything to do with there not being a D drive formatted?

In the end, I am not sure if all these issues are related or if it’s a series of different issues. Either way, I am at a loss and am ready to throw this thing out after a week of nights hunting for solutions and trying them to no avail.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 9:32 PM

All replies

• Try another factory reset, following the directions in the user guide you received when  you purchased your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:08 AM
  • If only I wish it were that easy. I have tried this at least 6 times time with the same results.  I have not been able to pin down anything specific that I am doing wrong per se; I really wish I could! I was able to find some helpful suggestions on this site but unfortunately nothing that solves this configuration issue. I will continue to search but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I was half wondering if it was my installation disk that was faulty but I might be just reaching at this point. 

• Edited by August_West Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:45 PM
    Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:04 PM
  • i was having the same problem at first my problem was i was trying to install whs on a 80gb hard drive despite it wanting 160. so i poped a 320gb in and still got the an error has occurred. upon inspecting my whs disk it had a smudge on it. cleaned it up and it got to configuring server. where it stayed for quite some time. i guess it was trying to configure the network and failed at it. i used shift f10 and ran ipconfig /renew.

then it continued doing its thing and has been working ever since. i hadn't gotten the chance but i would try installing the software with the network unplugged.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Thanks for your thoughts Kino.  These Acer Easystore units are tricky because they are headless units and installs must be done via a client PC.  My installation disk *looks* fairly clean but I'll polish her up and see if it helps. I also have a friend with the same unit and I may borrow his just for kicks. Acer support, needless to say, is useless. They have just thrown this back as being a software issue which I am in agreement with but the support for WHS V.1 is equally unsatisfactory. Hope to get to the bottom of it soon though. I'll keep you posted.
    Monday, February 20, 2012 4:00 PM
  • I have limited progress to report this evening. I figured I would try to  troubleshoot the WHS Console connection problems and found thread that suggested renaming all of the Home Server Console Tab DLL files one at a time to find out which might be causing problems. It would appear that it's the HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll that will not allow the console to open. Once I renamed it I was able to check things out. It's worth noting that I still received the same pop up warning I have been getting all week that said "The Windows Home Server Console experienced a problem with a feature during the previous attempt to open it. If the problem persists, please call Product Support." I am then prompted to click either retry or skip. I select retry which then brings up another window that reads "The Windows Home Server Backup Service is not running. Some WHS Console functions will not be available. Please restart Windows Home Server. If the problem persists contact Product Support." The difference is that the console will actually open which was not the case prior to renaming the storage dll. 

Once I am in the console, the status is listed as critical and noted that A) the Backup Service was not running on the server and B) Server storage space is low and has less than 0Gb of free space. I can only assume that this has something to do with the storage tab not loading. Any recommendations on where to go from here?

A look at my WHS log file:

Created at 2/21/2012 10:39:45 PM
    ***** Started at 2/21/2012 10:39:45 PM ***
    ***** Started at 2/21/2012 10:39:45 PM ***
    [1]120221.223945.9062: UI: Error: Killing previous console instance: ID=4760
    [1]120221.223948.3437: UI: Error: Unfinished DLL: HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll.  User chose to retry.
    [1]120221.223950.0625: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]120221.223950.1875: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]120221.223950.2031: Error: Client 3812cc8a-d2fc-4e2d-b777-b8ba10e4b2c6 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]120221.223950.2031: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 3812cc8a-d2fc-4e2d-b777-b8ba10e4b2c6
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]120221.223950.4062: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]120221.223953.7500: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]120221.223953.9687: Error: Exception thrown
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl.WMCFolder..ctor(Image i, UIExposedShare qsmShare, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.HomeServerSettingsExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtenderByType(Type theType, Assembly a, String name, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)

[1]120221.223953.9843: Error: Problem with Home Server Console Tab DLL HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.dll while loading HomeServerSettingsExtender: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl.WMCFolder..ctor(Image i, UIExposedShare qsmShare, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.SharingSettingsControl..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Sharing.HomeServerSettingsExtender..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices services)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtenderByType(Type theType, Assembly a, String name, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.GetExtender(Assembly a, String typeName, String prefixedDllName, Int32 width, Int32 height, IConsoleServices consoleServices)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Controls.TabFinder.FindTabs(Int32 tabWidth, Int32 tabHeight, Int32 settingsWidth, Int32 settingsHeight)
    [1]120221.224000.7187: Error: Cannot invoke RefreshData for HealthControl
    [1]120221.224000.7343: Error: Error -2147023728 in SendMessage
    [1]120221.224116.1093: BackupConfig: Error: Disconnected Backup Config
    [1]120221.224116.1093: Error: Client 3812cc8a-d2fc-4e2d-b777-b8ba10e4b2c6 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]120221.224116.1093: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 3812cc8a-d2fc-4e2d-b777-b8ba10e4b2c6
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClient(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.BackupHelpers.FindClientNoThrow(ConfigurationRoot configurator, Guid pcGuid) not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]120221.224116.1093: Error: Client 3812cc8a-d2fc-4e2d-b777-b8ba10e4b2c6 not found by BackupHelpers.FindClient
    [1]120221.224116.1093: Error: Client Microsoft.HomeServer.HomeServerConsoleTab.Health.ClientNotFoundException: 3812cc8a-d2fc-4e2d-b777-b8ba10e4b2c6

It's mostly Greek to me but maybe it helps?

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 4:16 AM
  • I have absolute had it with WHS. I can't spend another another 3weeks trying to get this up and running. Any recommendations for home server operating systems for people who are not IT professionals? Seriously, it should not be this difficult to do a fresh installation of an OS. 
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:09 AM