Ignoring Owner field during Data Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

I want to migrate the data from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0. For this I am exporting the csv files from 3.0 and importing it into 4.0.
    The problem I am facing here is:

1) After importing the file it automatically maps to the fields of that particular entity but, it ignores some columns like Owner field, Status and Status Reason and assigns the logged in user as Owner to those records.

But I want to map the original owners associated with the records.
    How can I achieve this?

2) Also I want to delete all the records of an entity which I imported. But we have the option to delete only 50 records at a time. Is there any way to delete all the records?

Thanks in advance...

Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:24 AM

Answers

• Dinesh,

In terms of re-assigning records en-mass, you can follow Leon's advice and import your data with the username in a dummy field. Prior to that though, create a workflow which checks the dummy field for the username and then re-assigns the record to the appropriate user. You can do the same with Status and Status Reason (just remember to change the Status last in your workflow since the record may become de-active in which case the workflow won't be able to perform any update operations).

For deleting records, instead of using javascript, you should use .NET. Perform a RetrieveMultiple() on the entity and then use the Delete() function to delete each record.

Shafraz

http://crmdude.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• So here are the ways I've worked around these limitations in the past:

1) Set values to a dummy field which indicate the values you want to store. For example, if you want the owner to be 'Bob', import 'Bob' into, say, the description field and then find these with Advanced Find and manually reassign en masse

2) In options you can increate the number of records to 250. While still problematic for really large data sets, this will be 5 times quicker than doing it with 50 recrds at a time.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    http://leontribe.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Leon...

I am satisfied with increasing the number of record count.
    But, an easy way to delete all the records is:
    Retrieve all the records through javascript RetriveMultiple() method and delete each record using Delete() method.

Coming to the first question your suggestion is manully re-assign the owners using Advanced Find.
    But, I have a large amount of data which is unable to re-assign manually.

I am working on this and I find a way to do this using same javascript which looks into each and every record and updates the owner field with description field using  Update() method.

-Dinesh
     Ramp India
     www.rampgroup.com
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:48 AM
  • If you are using the Data Migration Manager, I believe you can set the Owner of the record and do a bulk delete. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Dinesh,

I also have the same problemn.
    But I want to map the original owners associated with the records.

what javascript did u use, should we need to use it after data migration.
    I also have a huge data to migrate.
    let m eknow.

Thanks
    Anandhi.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Dinesh,

In terms of re-assigning records en-mass, you can follow Leon's advice and import your data with the username in a dummy field. Prior to that though, create a workflow which checks the dummy field for the username and then re-assigns the record to the appropriate user. You can do the same with Status and Status Reason (just remember to change the Status last in your workflow since the record may become de-active in which case the workflow won't be able to perform any update operations).

For deleting records, instead of using javascript, you should use .NET. Perform a RetrieveMultiple() on the entity and then use the Delete() function to delete each record.

Shafraz

http://crmdude.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:48 PM