Sync between SQL 2005 to/from 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have not used Sync Services but am familiar with merge replication, so appologies in advance if my terminology is merge replicaiton related.

Is it possible using  ADO .NET Sync Services over WCF to:

1. Sync from a SQL 2008 publisher to SQL 2005 subscriber ?

2. Sync from a SQL 2005 publisher to a SQL 2008 subscriber

thanks, pdns

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi pdns,

I believe there are two ways to do this:

- Use Sync Services with SqlExpressClientSyncProvider sample. This is a hub-and-spoke model (centralized) and it's mostly optimized for using SQL Server as the central server and SQL Compact on the clients. The SQL Express client provider can be used on the client side, but it is only given as a sample and has one documented bug in this forum so I'm not sure if it's reliable enough. It is quite a simpler solution, though. Also I think this can work over WCF only if it's the client side (not the hub) that executes the replication code. The difference is subtle, but basically it seems that the WCF side has to be the hub. (If anyone knows how this can be done the other way round, I'm curious to know).

- Use peer-to-peer sync mechanism from the Sync Framework (keyword: DbPeerSyncProvider). This is much more complicated to implement since it requires much more support for storing local "knowledge" (i.e. which peer changed which data row) but is much more powerful since the system is fully symmetric.

Hope this helps.
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 3:06 PM