WHS & Xbox 360 question RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS for awhile now, but have some specific questions on how it shares various media to my 360.  First off, I have all of my media fairly well organized into the default shared folders.  All of my music has correct ID3 tags and is tagged using a standard, a process I went through for HTPC use. 

However, I have one folder (\\Videos\Incoming\Unsorted Music) that contains a bunch of music that is uncategorized, badly tagged, and is intentionally left out of the main music folder because of that.  For some reason, when I browse Music on WHS from the 360, all of these tracks are visible. 

I've looked around at other streaming solutions, but really don't want to implement another piece of software when this is already technically working.  So how do I configure what WHS does or does not share?  I haven't been able to find any settings for this. 
    Monday, February 25, 2008 2:37 PM

Answers

• When you enable media sharing for a WHS share, it enables sharing of all content types that WHS is capable of streaming, not just the content types that one would logically expect in that location. So I would guess that you have media sharing turned on for your Videos share...

To avoid this, you can simply move those files out of any share that has media sharing turned on.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 6:13 PM

All replies

• Simplest solution I can think of is create a new shared folder and disable media streaming on that folder (i think its disabled by default, or maybe never enabled on folders other than those setup by WHS)

Monday, February 25, 2008 2:49 PM
  • Where do I enable/disable individual media sharing?  I don't see any options for that in the Properties via the WHS console, nor in the actual shared folder properteis via Explorer.  I tried creating a new shared folder as well, and didn't see any options. 

While I'm at it: how is the stuff shared out to begin with.  It looks like most people are using WMP11 to stream their library, and I can see how to exclude folders and stuff their, but I don't see the equivalent in WHS.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 4:35 PM
  • When you enable media sharing for a WHS share, it enables sharing of all content types that WHS is capable of streaming, not just the content types that one would logically expect in that location. So I would guess that you have media sharing turned on for your Videos share...

To avoid this, you can simply move those files out of any share that has media sharing turned on.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Ok, that makes sense.  Its a shame this isn't configurable at all, though.  I would like to get a bit more specific about what is streamed without it effecting the shares.  Guess I'll have to go with Orb or Tversity for that functionality. 
    Monday, February 25, 2008 6:46 PM