WHS pool Hard Drive failed - please help RRS feed

• Question

• Please help!

One of my WHS pool hard drives has failed.
    When I attempt to access files in shares I get an error stating the file could not be found.

1) How do I find out what files have been lost?
    2) How can I determine which non duplicated files are lost
    2) Why can't I access files in shares that are duplicated?

Is there a standard process to recovering from a hard drive failure in the pool?
    I'm, at the stage where I do not know what I have lost - I'm getting 50+ duplication errors a day at the moment.
    Every other file I access is not available - as stated even duplicated files!

I have a 2x1TB and 2x500GB pool. one of the 500GB drives has died.

Many Thanks,

Chinswain.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    failed drives are annoying.
    Try following steps:
    Remove the failed drive from storage pool in the console. (This may take a while.)
    Can you now access the shared folders again?

• Login via Remote Desktop or locally to your WHS.
    • In Control Panel / Folder Options on the View tab select Show hidden files and folders and click OK. (This is necessary to view the hidden DE folders.)
    • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to following folders:

d:\DE\shares
    c:\fs\<drive>\DE\shares
    Here you will find all the still existing files.

• If you cannot access them through Shared folders on server, copy them directly from here to an accessible network share (can be also on the server) or an external drive. (Check the files in the proper application, if they are not damaged.)
    • Remove the broken disk and attach it to another PC. If it still is working, you have chances to find the DE folder here as well and to recover your files. Sometimes, if the disk has certain damages,  it helps, to cool down the disk in refrigerator before attaching it.
      (To simplify this you could buy an connector SATA/IDE to USB fot that disk.) There is no real simple way to know, what you may have lost, until you need it.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:18 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    failed drives are annoying.
    Try following steps:
    Remove the failed drive from storage pool in the console. (This may take a while.)
    Can you now access the shared folders again?

• Login via Remote Desktop or locally to your WHS.
    • In Control Panel / Folder Options on the View tab select Show hidden files and folders and click OK. (This is necessary to view the hidden DE folders.)
    • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to following folders:

d:\DE\shares
    c:\fs\<drive>\DE\shares
    Here you will find all the still existing files.

• If you cannot access them through Shared folders on server, copy them directly from here to an accessible network share (can be also on the server) or an external drive. (Check the files in the proper application, if they are not damaged.)
    • Remove the broken disk and attach it to another PC. If it still is working, you have chances to find the DE folder here as well and to recover your files. Sometimes, if the disk has certain damages,  it helps, to cool down the disk in refrigerator before attaching it.
      (To simplify this you could buy an connector SATA/IDE to USB fot that disk.) There is no real simple way to know, what you may have lost, until you need it.

Olaf

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:18 AM
  • Great, thanks for your advice Olaf.

I was worried that the drive worked like RAID0 - removing it from WHS via the console would result in all data being lost from that drive.
    The drive can be accessed on another PC via SATA connection although it causes the PC (vista) to boot/respond very slowly - everything has a one second pause/un-pause cycle when the broken drive is plugged in - I can hear the drive ticking once a second.

Under WHS the drive is not listed in devices or Computer Management/Storage.

If there are any files on the HD, will these be complete copies? Or is it like RAID 0 where the data  is useless as it's spread over the physical disks?

I'm guessing removing the drive via WHS console will cause the tombstones to be updated to the copy of the file that exists on the working drive(s)?

Is it possible to update the tombstones on the landing zone
    Again, Thanks for your help. (Hard drive is now in the freezer!)

Chinswain.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 11:54 AM
  • Hello Chinswain,
    a ticking drive sounds not good.
    Windows Home Server stores entire files on the disk. Usually it tries to fill one disk first, before starting to use more drives. Only the shares, which are selected for folder duplication, will be found also on a second drive.
    So yes, the files, which can be found, are either complete files or tombstones.
    These should be updated if removing the failed drive from console.
    If that fails, you can try Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool from http://calvin-au.com/whscleanup/

Olaf
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:08 PM