Product Key Updater RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to update my Product Key to my working key. (I had to use another copy to get installed because I lost my original CD's).  Using the Windows Product Key Update Tool, I have been able to update in the past to my current key and now it gives me this message: The new product key you are using to update has been previously used or is already in use.  This key has only been on one computer, mine.  What do I need to do?
    Monday, April 23, 2007 12:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Maji,

This is expected behavior for the Product Key Update tool. The Update Tool was intended to switch out a non-genuine key for a genuine key and this should only need to be done one time (per Genuine key). If you subsequently needed to reinstall windows, then the Genuine key should have been used to conduct that install.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

--------------------------------------------------------

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Monday, April 23, 2007 11:57 PM

All replies

• Maji,

The Product Key Updater Utility can only be used once on any given installation of XP.

Why not just get another original CD?

Monday, April 23, 2007 2:11 AM
  • Hi Maji,

This is expected behavior for the Product Key Update tool. The Update Tool was intended to switch out a non-genuine key for a genuine key and this should only need to be done one time (per Genuine key). If you subsequently needed to reinstall windows, then the Genuine key should have been used to conduct that install.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Monday, April 23, 2007 11:57 PM