Problems with External Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Media Smart Home Server, running WHS 2011, and I have 4 2 TB internals, and 4 2 TB external drives. I started getting error messages on one of the external drives. It is a WD My Book. It would show up as "unhealthy" in the storage tab. I ran repair, and it didn't fix it. I reset the server, and the drives, and it started up and all was good and it showed "healthy." Then I started getting "File Conflict" messages. Since I have over 2.5 TB of free space, I decided to proactively remove the drive and replace it, since, having no more expansion room, it would be impossible to add a new one before removing this one. I keep getting "File conflicts prevented the removal" messages every time I try. Once, after a clean reboot, I tried and it ran for several hours, and I thought I was good, but then ended up with the same result. The file listed is C:\fs\1B\DE on the server. I used remote desktop to check the drive, and there are NO files under \fs\1B. I tried to create a directory named DE in there and is says "the system cannot find the file specified." In remote desktop, I used Computer Management -Disk manager, to check the drive, and it shows the other 7 as active, but the WD shows inactive. It is not displayed in the top window with the rest of the storage. It IS in the list of installed drives, but if I right click and click "Mark Partition as Active" (or any other option for that drive) I get an error that says "The operation was canceled due to an internal error." If the server runs for even a short time, I start to get  file conflict messages. If I reboot, and don't restart that hard drive, sometimes it starts with the "Drive missing" error. If I reset the drive, it shows up. When I restart them both together, It starts healthy, and then the file conflicts show up. I have had this drive for quite a while with no problems, so it's not related to power saving. I just recovered from a dual drive failure a while back after a power outage (it came unplugged) so I'm not looking forward to another big incident or data loss. 

I've read some of the forums that suggest removing it and treating it as a failed drive, or re-installing WHS, but I was hoping there is a better solution.

Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 4:10 PM

Answers

• The folder is the mount point from one of the disks. If the disk failed or the file system is corrupt, you will face these file conflicts - especially if the files are not on a duplicated shared folder. (The link to the file is still there but points to a location which has it no longer.) You can check the FAQ FAQ: How do I resolve file conflicts

Your best chance would be to delete the related files from the share directly and then try again. Other methods, like removing the disk physically and after that from console may or may not work. In this case you may have to take care to recover data from that disk as outlined in te FAQ How to recover data after server failure .

Hm but I see just you talk about WHS 2011 - this would not have those mount points you talk about, but HP Media Smart Home Server with WHS v1 would have ...

So what is now true?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:45 PM

All replies

• The folder is the mount point from one of the disks. If the disk failed or the file system is corrupt, you will face these file conflicts - especially if the files are not on a duplicated shared folder. (The link to the file is still there but points to a location which has it no longer.) You can check the FAQ FAQ: How do I resolve file conflicts

Your best chance would be to delete the related files from the share directly and then try again. Other methods, like removing the disk physically and after that from console may or may not work. In this case you may have to take care to recover data from that disk as outlined in te FAQ How to recover data after server failure .

Hm but I see just you talk about WHS 2011 - this would not have those mount points you talk about, but HP Media Smart Home Server with WHS v1 would have ...

So what is now true?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 2:45 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. I may have been mistaken about the version of WHS. It says in settings-resources Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:04 PM