All my back-ups RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I have a blip with OneCare and I go through the repair process I have to re-configure backup. This means backup fails to remember my previous backups and I have to start again. I now have six sets of backups.

Another thing: I have all these discs but when I was validating my Windows XP I lost a  photo file and I know it's on one of these discs..... how can I find out which one, how can I read these files ?

Thanks in advance

Jerry McBride

Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:54 AM

Answers

• Hello Jerry, I STILL haven't mastered the calculator An external USB hard drive is just like the hard drive inside your computer except that it can be removed or moved to another computer. Just like the hard drive inside your computer it can be used for additional file storage but unlike the hard drive inside your computer it can be used as a backup destination by One Care. As far as what size to get, if you can do a complete One Care backup on six CDs, an 80gb external drive should suit your needs. These can be purchased for $55-$65 from many online stores.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 4:02 PM

All replies

• Can you restore from the back up discs if you choose "Restore files from an earlier backup or a backup from another computer? If so you can either restore all missing files or use the option to search for files to restore.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:19 PM
  • Good advice for reading my discs and I eventually was able to read my files. I still would like to know how to bypass having to start a new backup every time there's a small problem with downloading updates.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:25 PM
  • This should be a non issue when the update problems are resolved. You might also consider an external drive for backups as they are becoming very affordable and are much faster than burning CDs.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:48 PM
  • Can you re-use external drives and what size would you recommend as economic ? Sorry I'm such an airhead at this: I've only just mastered the calculator!

Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:54 PM
  • Hello Jerry, I STILL haven't mastered the calculator An external USB hard drive is just like the hard drive inside your computer except that it can be removed or moved to another computer. Just like the hard drive inside your computer it can be used for additional file storage but unlike the hard drive inside your computer it can be used as a backup destination by One Care. As far as what size to get, if you can do a complete One Care backup on six CDs, an 80gb external drive should suit your needs. These can be purchased for $55-$65 from many online stores.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 4:02 PM
  • Thanks a million... all the best

Sunday, August 19, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Can anyone advise me on whether it's "better" to have an external NAS back-up dr. attached to my router as opposed to a USB external dr. attached to one of my circle pc's?

Also, can the centralized dr. be an external usb dr. on a computer as well as a NAS on a router?

Thanks

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:29 AM
  •  Igneous wrote:

Can anyone advise me on whether it's "better" to have an external NAS back-up dr. attached to my router as opposed to a USB external dr. attached to one of my circle pc's?

Also, can the centralized dr. be an external usb dr. on a computer as well as a NAS on a router?

Thanks

It would be personal choice. Keep in mind that if it is a USB drive attached to a PC, that PC must be on for other PCs to access it. An NAS would, in theory, remain powered on and available to all PCs at all times.

Yes, centralized backup should be able to use either location.

-steve

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:22 PM
  • OneCare backup will allow only one backup device to be configured as central backup device at any time.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Thanks Steve. I do have a USB external Dr. that I use right now, but I'm thinking about getting a NAS and attaching it right to my Router. Then again, if the soon to be out Home Server software isn't too expensive I may convert one of my old PC's to a Server....perhaps with a new Terabyte Drive!!

Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:31 PM
  • Windows Home Server software is rumored to be priced around $150 US. Pretty affordable, I think. I'm running it on a P4 1.5 Gig machine with 512 megs of RAM. Rather than getting a single big drive, consider getting 2 500 Gig drives (or more) to take full advantage of the duplication of data on WHS.

-steve

Friday, August 24, 2007 12:54 AM
  • Just a little update; I did buy the new Windows Home Server software for $171 from buy.com and I really like it. It does integrate with OneCare so it knows I'm backing up on the Server. Very cool. So you just turn it off the OneCare Back-up.

I did in fact install the WHS software on a new 500G drive on an old HP Celeron I had.

FYI it's OEM software and Microsoft doesn't support the new it for free; $57 if you want help :-(

You take a hit here because you're not buying a pre-loaded Server.

But, it looks pretty stable. I have a multi-boot (Vista Ultimate 32bit, and 64bit on seperate drives) main desktop, a XP Pro Laptop, and an XP Home Pentium II for the grandkids (yes, it's a little slow).

Saturday, November 10, 2007 5:34 AM
  • Enjoy Windows Home Server. :-) I was using the beta for a long time and just installed the OEM version on a PC at home, though I think I have a hardware problem on it, so there is some work to be done! I also ordered the HP device to use as a production backup solution. Can you tell that I'm a big fan of WHS? As for support, the web forum for WHS is frequented by some really knowledgeable and helpful people as well as members of the WHS development team.

-steve

Monday, November 12, 2007 8:16 PM