Installation dll error RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone encountered the following error upon installing/re-install of WHS: "load needed dll's for kernel"?
    I am at my wits end and have had so many different error messages over the last 48hrs it is no longer funny.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:26 AM

Answers

• This usually indicates a problem with your boot configuration, often caused by a disk error.

The supported procedure for correcting this issue is a server reinstallation. Before you go that far, however, try fixing the boot configuration (note that this procedure is unsupported and at the end of the day you may still need to do a server reinstallation, since it won't fix every possible error):
    • Find a Windows XP installation disk.
    • Boot the disk, and choose to enter "Recovery Console" mode.
    • Run chkdsk.
    • Run BOOTCFG /rebuild. Press Enter whenever you're asked for additional information.
    • Run FIXBOOT.
    • Run FIXMBR.
    • Run EXIT. Your server will reboot.
    If chkdsk indicates anything other than soft file system errors, you probably have a failing hard drive. You should plan to replace it in that case, but first you should go through the procedure above to get your server functioning again, and then turn duplication on for all shares (to avoid data loss in your shares during the drive replacement).

Now for the "Why no repair feature?" question: Windows Home Server isn't a software-only retail product that's intended for installation by end users. When you buy the software from e.g. NewEgg you're buying "system builder" software. Most users are expected to get Windows Home Server as part of a hardware/software package from an OEM such as e.g. HP, or from a small computer shop that builds semi-custom computers (a "system builder"). Since the product is designed to run headless, and since the hardware specifications for OEMs require the absence of KVM connections on the outside of the case, normally there will be no way for an end user to get into a recovery console. (In addition, Windows Home Server is built on top of a flavor of Windows Server 2003, which doesn't have a recovery console.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by eds.com Friday, August 14, 2009 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:28 PM

All replies

• Has anyone encountered the following error upon installing/re-install of WHS: "load needed dll's for kernel"?
    I am at my wits end and have had so many different error messages over the last 48hrs it is no longer funny.

I've never seen it.  What are you doing that's causing it (New Installation or Server Reinstallation)?  What happened that cuased you to do that in the first place?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 2:38 PM
  • About 2 weeks ago a had to replace my system drive as whs indicated it was failing. Since then system restore worked well but I could just not get my backups to work and the message "backup service not running" came up all the time. Eventually, I 've decided to re-install again as all solutions offered on the forum did not solve the problem. Re-installation stalled then inthe finalisation stage with a mesage that " installation cannot continue. please perform new installation as their has been a change to the system environment.

So, I went ahead and did a new installation after wiping my new syten drive, keeping all other data drives disconnected. Then after install with system now up and runnig I connected all data drives and copies my shared files from folder"DE" over to shares on new drive D. All went very well. Then I started updating my system and got this message "Windows cannot stat because of an erro in the software . Load needed dll's for kernel"

I once again wipe my new system drive and started a new install as I could not boot into safemoe or any othe advanced booting option. Went through same process of copying files over but this time did selective update of system. Still everything went fine after each update as I 've checked it everytime.

Tonight I came home from work to find my WHS system off (on client pc grey icon). Now, the last update performed was the Mifrosoft.Net 3.5 option. Could that be responsible for this?

Checking otherforums this message apprently happens because of a mismatch between Hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe and Microsoft advises a system re-install(NT as well as WXP.

Hope this helps and makes some sense!
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:16 PM
  • No takers on this one?

I'm getting the *exact* same error now on my WHS after experiencing what I can only describe as extreme instability, getting several "unknown" windows error messages with no text in them, the backup service would not stay running, and I could not connect to the console remotely.  After TSing into the WHS, the shell crashed.  Restarted it and tried doing a back up of the WHS then it locked up.  I plugged in a monitor, kb, and mosue and rebooted to "load needed DLLs for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem" error message.  Cannot boot to gui. Cannot boot to safe mode.

It also seems the WHS DVD does not have a repair feature on it??  What gives with that.

Any help much appreciated here.

-Allen
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:58 PM
  • This usually indicates a problem with your boot configuration, often caused by a disk error.

The supported procedure for correcting this issue is a server reinstallation. Before you go that far, however, try fixing the boot configuration (note that this procedure is unsupported and at the end of the day you may still need to do a server reinstallation, since it won't fix every possible error):
    • Find a Windows XP installation disk.
    • Boot the disk, and choose to enter "Recovery Console" mode.
    • Run chkdsk.
    • Run BOOTCFG /rebuild. Press Enter whenever you're asked for additional information.
    • Run FIXBOOT.
    • Run FIXMBR.
    • Run EXIT. Your server will reboot.
    If chkdsk indicates anything other than soft file system errors, you probably have a failing hard drive. You should plan to replace it in that case, but first you should go through the procedure above to get your server functioning again, and then turn duplication on for all shares (to avoid data loss in your shares during the drive replacement).

Now for the "Why no repair feature?" question: Windows Home Server isn't a software-only retail product that's intended for installation by end users. When you buy the software from e.g. NewEgg you're buying "system builder" software. Most users are expected to get Windows Home Server as part of a hardware/software package from an OEM such as e.g. HP, or from a small computer shop that builds semi-custom computers (a "system builder"). Since the product is designed to run headless, and since the hardware specifications for OEMs require the absence of KVM connections on the outside of the case, normally there will be no way for an end user to get into a recovery console. (In addition, Windows Home Server is built on top of a flavor of Windows Server 2003, which doesn't have a recovery console.)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by eds.com Friday, August 14, 2009 7:38 AM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:28 PM
  • From what you decribe, this could point to a hardware failure (disk, memory, mainboard, overheating ...). Crashing systems can also corrupt the backup database. And a corrupted backup database can cause related services to crash as well. So deleting the backup database and starting backups from the scratch would be a possible workaround, once the original cause of the instability is fixed.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. I have done a server re-install at the time of my original post, changed my memory prior to the reinstall as I have had some issues with memory before and happy to report that my system has been running truoble free since then. I have not installed the Microsoft.Net 3.5 update yet. Would that then be safe to do now? I was wondering about failing harddrives but all my drives are still going well and no report of impending failure yet. Prior to that happening one of my client pc's refused to back up - that is also solved now.

Thanks

Edward
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:43 AM
  • Excellent, thank you Ken for taking the time to write such a detailed response.  I didn't know that absence of KVM connections was a hw spec requirement. 

So in the end, it would appear that the boot/OS drive on my home-build WHS died.  I was able to pop the data drive into another NTSF system and copy all the content off so I didn't lose anything but time.  

Then, I bought an HP MediaSmart Server EX470, got a great deal on it, and spun it up tonight.  It's a great little piece of iron!

I love WHS, one of the best consumer-focused and highly-beneficial products Microsoft has come out with in a long time.   

all my best

-Allen
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:45 AM