Is there any chance CRM 2015 will provide for moving from On-Premise to Online? RRS feed

• Question

• Not likely, but one can hope, right?  Why can't a backup of an On-Premise org be brought up to an Online org? 
    Friday, November 7, 2014 7:17 PM

All replies

• Personally I don't think that will be available as option due to many differences between onpremise and online.

you can always move the customizations and after the data with Scribe or kingsway soft ssis integration toolkit

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Friday, November 7, 2014 8:01 PM
  • And people who are on onpremise do lots of stuff with the database which is unsupported. Like running update queries, create stored procedures, triggers etc.

too much risk, I think it will never happen. 😊

Sunday, November 9, 2014 8:51 AM
  • Without breaking my NDA, I would say to someone on premise to evaluate the business case for putting data in CRM online.

It would be good to see how your business processes generate usage on CRM in a longer trial so make sure this is going to be cost affective for your firm

I agree with the comments above but for different reasons.  There are a great many new features that are going to help your company, by using ONLINE.

Kingswaysoft looks like a great tool for you to investigate to that end.

Curtis J Spanburgh

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:58 PM
  • +1 vote!

Right now it's pretty easy to move from Online to onpremise, MSFT simply ship the database to you, but moving from onprem to online can be very time consuming, especially if your database has been around for several versions and accumulated all manner of managed and unmanaged solutions which to move to Online, often means you need a full set of historical managed solutions due to dependencies. Once CRM2015 comes along, managed solutions deployed while running CRM2011 won't import to CRM2015 so the customer may be forced to literally start from scratch and then embark on a data migration project.

I think onpremise deployments with unsupported customisations is a minority and not the norm, but agree, this would be a technical block on MSFT accepting a database for import to CRMOnline. The isolation of plugins & custom workflow is another and SSRS reports not written in a fetch xml compliant way is a third one (those constitute the answer to this post BTW).

Maybe MSFT could create a tool like the legacy feature check & custom code validation tool that ensures an onpremise database is OK to submit for migration to CRMOnline.

More and more customers are attracted to Online versus Onprem and it should be in MSFT's interest to make the move easy (it's certainly easier to cross sell other products via O365 so would be commercially a good idea).

Connect has a couple of items for this on which we can vote;

https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions/Feedback/Details/576717

https://connect.microsoft.com/dynamicssuggestions/feedback/details/789910/migration-from-crm-on-premise-to-online-and-vice-versa-ws-4289

Rob

MCTS. GAP Consulting Ltd. Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 & 2013

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:40 PM
  • Given the complexity of the On Prem user base now in the year 2014 I do not see a easy conversion from On Prem to Online for CRM.

As for putting the databases into Azure, there is a tool out there called the SQL Azure Migration wizard theat will help you see if you can get the database up there.  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/jj156144.aspx

Curtis J Spanburgh

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:22 PM
  • You may also want to check the commercial COZYROC SSIS+ library which includes Dynamics CRM adapters. All deployment types are supported and you can do one-time migrations completely free.

SSIS Tasks Components Scripts Services | http://www.cozyroc.com/

Saturday, August 8, 2015 9:06 AM