Create new tab in wunderbar using metadata webservice RRS feed

• Question

• Im playing with MS CRM webservices i want to add new tabs to MS CRM in wunderbar using webservices i.e i want to prepare an MSI based solution as soon as i install i want to show a new area in wunder bar is this possible any sample please..thnks in advance
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:56 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure what you mean by wunder bar, but if by "area" you mean a new Area in the SiteMap, you need to edit the SiteMap.xml:

1. Export SiteMap
    2. Edit SiteMap using your XML manipulation mechanism of choice
    3. Import SiteMap
    4. Publish SiteMap

See here for information about the SiteMap schema.

See here for information about importing/exporting the SiteMap node.

--pogo (pat)
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:47 PM
  • The "Wunderbar" is the common name for the "Areas", and pogo69 is right: this can only be done through the SiteMap.xml.  Using webservices to do this, you need to utilize the ExportXml and ImportXml messages.  That means that you'll need to establish an XML parser instance to create the nodes necessary to make modifications "on the fly".  However, with a pre-developed SiteMap.xml document, your installer application can simply use the ImportXml message to deploy it.  Since the SiteMap doesn't require publishing to become "live", that should be all you need.  Most other automated customization tasks make use of the PublishXml message.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by MSCRMrocks Friday, November 19, 2010 3:12 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:04 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure what you mean by wunder bar, but if by "area" you mean a new Area in the SiteMap, you need to edit the SiteMap.xml:

1. Export SiteMap
    2. Edit SiteMap using your XML manipulation mechanism of choice
    3. Import SiteMap
    4. Publish SiteMap

See here for information about the SiteMap schema.

See here for information about importing/exporting the SiteMap node.

--pogo (pat)
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:47 PM
  • The "Wunderbar" is the common name for the "Areas", and pogo69 is right: this can only be done through the SiteMap.xml.  Using webservices to do this, you need to utilize the ExportXml and ImportXml messages.  That means that you'll need to establish an XML parser instance to create the nodes necessary to make modifications "on the fly".  However, with a pre-developed SiteMap.xml document, your installer application can simply use the ImportXml message to deploy it.  Since the SiteMap doesn't require publishing to become "live", that should be all you need.  Most other automated customization tasks make use of the PublishXml message.

Dave Berry - MVP Dynamics CRM - http:\\crmentropy.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by MSCRMrocks Friday, November 19, 2010 3:12 AM
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:04 AM