Experiment in importing Band In a Box Styles (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• williamsharkey posted on 01-09-2010 9:39 PM

I downloaded free band in a box style from norton music website:

http://www.nortonmusic.com/page-a-f.html

Then I renamed them to have the ending: .sty

After placing them in the songsmith styles folder, they were available. They seem to only parially specify a songsmith style - the rest of the information is inherited from whatever style you were using last. This is a serendipitous quality that quickly gives you the ability to hybridize the styles with the download ones - to create many offspring.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Notes_Norton replied on 04-04-2011 3:12 PM

A good external mic will always help. However, if there is ambient noise getting into the microphone, it will get into your recording. The best bet is to try to find a quiet spot to make your recordings.

Notes ♫

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:32 PM

All replies

• Notes_Norton replied on 08-28-2010 11:53 AM

The files on that page are not style files, but song files and they are in the Band-in-a-Box format. There is nothing you can to to them to make them styles.

I do offer styles for Band-in-a-Box, but they are for purchase (I work hard on them, and expect to get a little in return). You can listen to .mp3 demo files here http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html

Be aware that some of these will sound different in Songsmith as it doesn't come with all 128 MIDI sounds (you can purchase them though). They were all recorded with either the software synth that comes with BiaB (Roland's Virtual Sound Canvas) or a stock Sound Blaster sound card, They are low bitrate mp3 files so although the fidelity may be low, they download and play very quickly.

Notes ♫

• terry redfearn replied on 03-22-2011 4:30 PM

Dear William sharkey

if using these free updates is there any copyright issues if a perosn published singing to this music  updated thanks terry redfearn

• Notes_Norton replied on 03-28-2011 9:53 AM

If you purchase my Norton Music Styles, you have the right to use them in your songs without paying any royalties to me. Complete details of what you can and cannot do can be read here

The rules are very liberal. I sell my styles as a tool, and you can use the tool to make your songs, you just cannot give away the raw styles.

Notes ♫ Norton

• terry redfearn replied on 03-29-2011 2:44 PM

i tried the free doem had no luck with those in midi format however the sample file i bought off of norton music that ended in sty extension i drag and dropped into the songsmith stle folder worked with songsmith thanks terry

• terry redfearn replied on 03-29-2011 2:47 PM

dear bob norton do you sell the 128 midi sounds compatible with songsmith or do i need to buy special adapter for my laptop which i record music while on the road working thanks terry redfearn also your 16bfk3 file is working will with songsmith thank you terry redfearn

• terry redfearn replied on 03-29-2011 2:52 PM

does anybody know how to filter out background noise with songsmith so when i sing into my laptops inboard microphone i get pure singing with the music or do i need to buy a external microphone with a built in filter thanks terry redfearn

• Notes_Norton replied on 04-04-2011 3:10 PM

I don't sell the sounds, but I believe Microsoft has a deal with Garritan that will give you all 128 General MIDI voices.

• Notes_Norton replied on 04-04-2011 3:12 PM

A good external mic will always help. However, if there is ambient noise getting into the microphone, it will get into your recording. The best bet is to try to find a quiet spot to make your recordings.

Notes ♫