Managing possible virus infection RRS feed

• Question

• Hello- hope someone can help with this.

Yesterday my son was using one of our computers that has Live One Care installed.  He observed a popup message stating that computer updates had installed was asked whether or not to reboot the system.  He clicked on OK and the computer shut down and restarted. 

On restart the the computer now boots into a screen saying the computer was shut down improperly and gives several options for starting in Safe Mode or to re-start using the most recent windows settings.

If we choose safe mode, the start-up process proceeds for a minute or two showing a long list of files opened and then stops at the same point in the list.

If we command the computer to reboot using the most recent windows settings it also locks up after a minute or two with a black screen.

I haven't tried booting to the command prompt.

I was discussing this problem with a colleague of mine at work and he suggested that the 'updates' my son encountered may have been a virus. 

My questions are as follows:  does this situation sound like a virus or other malware infection? , and if it does, what are my next steps to try to rescue the system? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

lbru

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• It could be malware but I am more inclined to think it is a failed Windows Update. I suggest visiting the Microsoft Update Solution Center for help - http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527#tab0

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 4:50 AM
  • I agree with Jim that a failed update sounds like the cause of the problem. You may want to look at the information regarding SP3, if that was the update that failed.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0

-steve

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:09 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I've contacted MS support and am waiting to hear back from them.  I'll also look at the site Steve has suggested.  I appreciate the help.

lbru
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:32 AM
  • Also, while contacting MS Support for Windowsupdate if you can send them WindowsUpdate.log that will be really helpful for them to debug the issue

Here are the steps to obtain windowsupdate.log

if you can boot from bootable disk (CD) and get the command prompt.

Copy get windows update log to thumbdrive and sent the log to Window Update team (

WindowsUpdate log can be found at c:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log or D:\windows\WindowsUpdate.log )

Friday, August 29, 2008 3:52 AM