CTP Problems RRS feed

• Question

• On a previous thread I stated that I had no problems with the CTP version, I then later realized that I had a slight problem after installation then another one popped up the following day.

Problem 1

I finished upgrading around noon on the 19th and it stated that I had 30 days to activate, so I decided I would wait until nearer that time as I have already used up 4 of my 6 allocated keys (3 of them on Beta 2, due to hdd problems). About 6 hours later I then got a warning that I had only 19 days left to activate and then 2 hours later it was down to 12 days. This system is working faster than the speed of light at this rate, so I decided to activate. I also noticed that the expiry date has come down considerably from Beta 2 ie from March/08 to 10/07. I hope that either an RC1 candidate is out by then or the RTM version, as I cannot be without it now.

Problem 2

I set the region on install correctly and I did a manual backup immediately after completion about mid afternoon on the 19th and left the backup schedule to do an automatic on between 0200 & 0700 on the 20th. I had also noticed that later in the evening that although the time was correct, the time zone was not, so I set it to GMT. The following morning on the 20th I noticed that it had done a backup but it was showing the wrong time, it was showing as in the evening of the 19th. I then decided to reboot the server then the time of the backups changed. The manual one changed from the correct mid afternoon time to late evening and the automatic changed from late evening to the early morning of the 20th which was now correct. So what is missing is the time zone setting in the install along with the region setting and why did it have to have a reboot after correctly setting the time zone manually afterwards.

I know that both problems are only of a minor nature, but they are probems never the less.

Friday, April 20, 2007 11:35 AM

Answers

• Could you please file a connect bug with the server talQ logs attached? We need to look at this. Thanks!
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:51 PM

All replies

• wecpc,

The problem is that the application (Admin Console) requires a restart to notice the change in TimeZone of the system. This is an inherent limitation of the underlying

technology that we are using (.Net framework).

I am not sure why, though, the 19 day and 12 day warning came 2 hrs from each other! You did not change the date, by any chance, did you?

Friday, April 20, 2007 2:01 PM
  • No I did not change the time or date from installation or during the period the activation times where changing. I only changed the time zone some time after having activated it, because the time scale was dropping very quickly.
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Could you please file a connect bug with the server talQ logs attached? We need to look at this. Thanks!
    Friday, April 20, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Friday, April 20, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Another problem has just surfaced. When I submitted the earlier problem on the 19th, the expiration date of WHS CTP was 21/10/07 and now I have just noticed that is now 29/09/07. How come I have just lost about 22 days in less than 1 day. At this rate it will expire in a few days. It seems to be related to my earlier problem of my activation date reducing rapidly also. This is now starting to be a serious problem from what I thought initially was a minor one. What do I do when it expires long before it is supposed to, especially after having bought all new hardware for this project.

I have just added a Bug report for this as it is a serious matter for me now.

CAB 338954002

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=272300

Friday, April 20, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Your BIOS battary low in that computer?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 11:35 PM
  • No, it is a brand new motherboard in the server and I have already checked that point, it is keeping perfect time and all the settings. It was the first thing I checked out.

At the moment the expiry date seems to have stayed on the 29/09/07 and not dropped any more, which is a bit of relief as I was starting to panic.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 9:07 AM