WGA (KB905474) Can Somebody Please Tell Me Why? RRS feed

• Question

• The whole Microsoft WGA movement is driving me crazy.

Why must we install this pre-released software? What is the point of keeping the application in our system after validation? Why must those who registered their Microsoft Windows XP [and other versions of it] with Microsoft via internet etc... when they first got their PC or software be forced to install the WGA notification software?

Once the tool has validated a copy of Windows, there is no  point or reason to keep checking it again and again.  If all they want to do is make sure that we have a genuine copy of windows, then why can't we uninstall this application? I sent in my Windows XP registration to Microsoft [as I'm sure many of you did] so why in the heck must we install this?  Why must they force us to install this application by denying upcoming windows update to those who choose to not install the WGA application?

I understand that Microsoft doesn't want for people to be running pirated copies of their software, but shouldn't it be those who are running the illegal copies the ones forced to install and keep the WGA software in their systems?

I did install WGA (KB905474). l've proved to Microsft that I have a genuine copy of Windows XP. Why must this application keep checking and checking the validity/purity of my OS? What else is there to prove?
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 6:56 PM

Answers

• KB905474 is no longer pre-release. Also, KB905474 is NOT mandatory at this time. However, the WGA Validation tool (KB 89....) is mandatory to recieve updates via Windows Update.

The WGA Software is constantly updated as well, thus requiring validation in repetition.

-phil liu

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:26 PM

All replies

• Information is available here:

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

Microsoft Genuine Advantage Privacy Statement: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/PrivacyInfo.aspx

Microsoft Provides Additional Clarity About Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jun06/06-08wgaqa.mspx

Update to the WGA Notifications program introduces changes based on customer feedback: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jun06/06-27WGA.mspx  

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:02 PM
  • KB905474 is no longer pre-release. Also, KB905474 is NOT mandatory at this time. However, the WGA Validation tool (KB 89....) is mandatory to recieve updates via Windows Update.

The WGA Software is constantly updated as well, thus requiring validation in repetition.

-phil liu

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:26 PM
  • I'm working on a Gateway 300s that crashed during an Windows XP SP2 upgrade.  This happened when my customer's son in-law so graciously decided to upgrade the PC while they were away on vacation. 
    My research indicates that this system will not except Windows SP2.  I used the Gateway provided recovery CDs to reinstall Windows XP.  Next I ran Windows Updates and received the Windows Validation Notification, the validation failed and I'm soon redirected to install the WGA notification tool (please excuse any deviation from MS nomenclature).
     Here's my dilemma, I'm going to return this computer to my customer with all of the pre SP2 updates, and a blue WGA star in the task bar telling them that their version of Windows is not up to date.  You can right click on the blue WGA star and (temporarily?) disable Critical Windows Service Pack Notifications, but the blue star remains giving the option to upgrade to SP2.  Further more WGA has no removal option in Add or Remove Programs.  Microsoft has instructions on removing the pilot version of WGA but not for the latest WGA (KB905474).  I need to totally disable this in order for my customer to have trouble free operation and avoid a fatal SP2 upgrade.
    Friday, July 21, 2006 3:28 AM