Dynamics CRM Outlook Plugin - Office 365 - On-Premise Dynamics CRM RRS feed

• Question

• On-premise Dynamics CRM is located at an ASP provider under f.ex domain name TEST.local
    Users are created under this TEST.local domain and is used to logon to Dynamics CRM
    This On-Premise Dynamics CRM is configured with a NAT address so that the users can access it from internet. They have to logon with TEST.local\Username

The customer has their mail accounts in Office 365 and now they want to use the Dynamics CRM Outlook Plugin.

How can this be resolved when there is no place to enter username and password in the Outlook Plugin? As I see the plugin works seamless with the account configured for Outlook, but that is an Office 365 account.

How can this be resolved?

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 11:24 AM

All replies

• I don't think that the CRM for Outlook client add-in (assuming you meant that rather than the CRM app for Outlook) cares whether Outlook is configured for an Office 365 email or Exchange on-premises account.

After the CRM for Outlok client is installed you need to run the Configuration Wizard which is where users enter their credentials for the CRM deployment; Online or On-premises.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:35 PM
  • There is no fields where you can add username and password in the CRM 2016 for Outlook. You can put in the URL, but that's it. It then tries to use the username I am logged onto the PC with. Here is the message I get: 'The caller was not authenticated by the service'

But I also wonder about how we can integrate Office 365 accounts to logon to our On-Premise Dynamics CRM. What is the best way?
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:43 AM
  • Is the best solution here to use Azure AD Connect with user/pass writeback and import those users into Dynamics CRM? That way users can access the On-Premise Dynamics CRM with their Azure AD identity (office 365)?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 11:50 AM
  • I re-read your first post and it sound like that your CRM is being access over the Internet.  If this is the case then Internet-facing deployment should be configured for CRM and in this case the Configuration Wizard will prompt for credentials.

If CRM is being accessed over a VPN or internal network, then authentication occurs using the account that the user logged into the PC with.

If the user is logging into the PC with a domain account that is different from the domain accounts used to create the CRM users then I think you will need to set some form of AD synchronization/federation between the domain that hosts CRM and Office 365. You mention Azure AD Connect and that might well be the way to go.

Or if you want to avoid all that work, if you configure the CRM for an IFD deployment, you should be able to configure the CRM add-in for Outlook and specify the CRM username and password (TEST.local\username) in the configuration wizard. This does of course mean continuing to maintain two databases of user accounts (the TEST.local AD and Office 365).

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:31 AM