Is there an HD 6450 Catalyst driver that works with WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I installed an MSI R6450-MD1GD3 / Low Profile card in an HP N40L.  Mainly because I wanted a DVI and HDMI output.

But I am getting driver errors with the latest Catalyst that I downloaded from the MSI website.  Of course there is not one specifically for WHS 2011 but I used tried the one for Windows 7 64 bit.

Any idea?

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:54 AM

All replies

• What kind of driver errors in detail?

If already during setup, did you try to run the setup program in Windows 7 compatibility mode (by selecting the appropriate menu item after right clicking the installation file?

Also you should right click the setup program, select Properties and click Unblock, if it is still blocked due to its source from the Internet.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:24 PM
  • What kind of driver errors in detail?

If already during setup, did you try to run the setup program in Windows 7 compatibility mode (by selecting the appropriate menu item after right clicking the installation file?

Also you should right click the setup program, select Properties and click Unblock, if it is still blocked due to its source from the Internet.

Olaf

Thanks Olaf for getting back to me.  No I did know know about installing a program/driver in WHS 2011 like that.  I will see if that does it.

But I had another HD 6450 from the same manufacture in my N40L without the warning pop-up.    In fact I think the only difference between the two card is that one has 2gb of memory (the one that worked without issue) and now this 1gb version. I was at the time using my N40L also to play mkv files to my HDTV.  Here is link to both cards: http://us.msi.com/product/vga/#?fp=Radeon%20HD%206000%20Series&sk=Radeon%20HD%206450

The pop-up warning on my WHS 2011 rig is this: "The AMD VISION Engine Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your enabled graphics adapter. Please update your AMD graphics driver, or enable your AMD adapter using the Displays Manager"

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Well, the control center is an additional component - which you can unselect during a custom installation, since in fact you only would need the drivers.

Olaf

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Well, the control center is an additional component - which you can unselect during a custom installation, since in fact you only would need the drivers.

Olaf

I tried using Windows 7 mode but that did not alleviate the the warning pop-up.  So I just uninstalled the the Control Center.  And so far I've not seen the pop-up which appeared by now.  Will report back if I see it.  Thanks again Olaf!

I do have a problem with this card and driver in my N40L.  I just tried playing an mkv file just to see how it works and it ran perfect for about 10 seconds and then the video just stops.  I tried two other mkv movie files and the same thing.  I'm not going to be using this box for playing mkv files but it makes me wonder what's up with the video playback now.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Could it be the video card? In a narrow computer case its hard to transport the heat out - so the part of the video card, which is speeding up video playback, could be disabled due to this. (Just speculative.)

Olaf

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:04 AM