Freak issue: cannot add 2nd PC to license after OneCare Server release RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple PC's in a SmallBusiness2003 environment.

Tested one (vista) PC with OneCare in june '08. Bought the license in august, and everything worked fine. At that time OneCare for Server didn't exist.

Tried to add a second PC (XPSP2) in september. The software installs OK, and shows up in the OneCare group also as a testlicense. Then I try to add the 2nd PC to the license. OneCare takes me to a website, lets me login my live-account, but then it forwards me to a promotion page on OncareServer with no further options.

This may be caused by the fact that OneCare Server has been released in between the two installations, but as I read the documentation it should still be possible to run OneCare on the client PC's only. Also, OneCare for Server is developed for Server2008, so it probably is not an option for SBS2003 anyway.

Anyway, the effect is NOT caused by the 2nd PC being a domain member. If I remove it from the domain and put it in a Workgroup of its own, the add-to-license process still takes me to the OneCareServer promotion page.

I called MS but to no avail - the problem is 'unique' and being escalated. While they work on it I want to have a workaround in place by the time the Testlicense dies. The questions then:

(a) Is it possible that the process detects the ISA2003 server, triggering it to redirect me?

(b) If so, how can this be avoided?

(c) if not, how does OneCare detect the presence of the SBS2003? Should I disconnect the file shares?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 7:55 AM

Answers

• The problem is that there is a registry key on that PC from having been joined to the SBS 2003 domain. It needs to be removed in order for you to activate the retail subscription.

1. If OneCare was installed on the machine prior to joining the SBS domain, then

a. Rename the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\smallbusinessserver to something else

b. Now attempt the activation with a valid OneCare subscription

2. If OneCare was installed after joining the SBS domain, then

a. Rename the reg key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\smallbusinessserver to something else

b. Uninstall/re-install OneCare c. Now attempt the activation with a valid OneCare subscription

-steve

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:25 PM

All replies

• Paul Frenau,

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum. Under the circumstance where your issue has been escalated, I am instructed here in the forums to defer to your current telephone support case. If I knew your answer and it was a quick fix, I'd pass it along to you.

Don't hesitate to post here if you need continued support after you hear back from MS and we will go from there. Also, if you'd like to post what you learn, please do as it may help others with your scenario.

Best Wishes,

Rick, MS

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:35 AM
  •  

Thanks Rick,

Some remarks on the process:

1. It does give me some confidence that you tracked it back to the escalated issue so fast
    2. I didn't know how to inform MS of the (negative) result of my Remove-From-Domain test. Since the problem was escalated,  First Line Support no longer handles the issue, and I have received no other contact details. Can you make sure this info is passed on?
    3. I did not expect you or anyone on this forum to SOLVE the problem since it appears to be something in the Licensing Program. But since I (only now) suspect that ISA plays an instrumental role, I imagined that some forum-visitor with the right ISA knowledge, regardless of the Onecare subject, might help me out. Maybe I should rephrase the Issue and post it on an ISA forum, what do you think?

kind regards, & keep up the good work.

Paul

Friday, September 26, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Paul,

You are welcome.

1. Excellent.

2. So when they escalate, if they are unable to get the answer in-house, they should contact the same people I would contact for some possible resolutions. Give it the time they told you to respond. If you are 24 hours beyond the time they give you, create a new post here and copy and paste your issue, explain the time frame and we'll go from there. It's important for me to respect the steps others are taking here to assist you, so that we work together and not against each other. At that time, I can have you email me your SR#, verify that your case is 24 hours passed when they said they'd get back to you, and make sure to escalate it on my end.

3. I'd keep your case going with OneCare and post on an ISA forum. You'd need to look for one you think would match your needs.

We're here to work together. To do the best we can. I'd take your last name off your post when you get a moment. Everyone reads these.

Best wishes & Thanks for visiting the Live OneCare program forum,

Rick, MS

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:45 PM
  • The problem is that there is a registry key on that PC from having been joined to the SBS 2003 domain. It needs to be removed in order for you to activate the retail subscription.

1. If OneCare was installed on the machine prior to joining the SBS domain, then

b. Now attempt the activation with a valid OneCare subscription

2. If OneCare was installed after joining the SBS domain, then

b. Uninstall/re-install OneCare c. Now attempt the activation with a valid OneCare subscription

-steve

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:25 PM
  •  Thanks, this is a succesfull workaround for the activation issue!

Can someone on your side please close issue SRX1078976835ID ?

I'd rather not have to wait through another voice-response-queue just to close the ticketnumber.

BTW: I hope that MS will still fix the real problem - it should be a straightforward install, especially since SBS2003 is not supported by OneCare/Server.

Thanks again for your support!

Paul

Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Hi, Paul. If support doesn't hear back from you, they will close the case. :-)

I'm glad that the solution helped. It is my understanding that the OneCare team is working to provide a solution that will eliminate the problem to begin with.

-steve

Thursday, October 2, 2008 1:16 PM