WHS 2011 for people not using RAID RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am not really wanting to use RAID and I am leaning towards not being too bothered about having single shares as  I have had it like that before, what I am wanting to know is will WHS 2011 notify me when drives are failing like WHS V1 did, also are there any other things I can do with WHS 2011 without the need for RAID or 3rd party add-ins?
    HMG
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 11:33 AM

All replies

• bump
    HMG
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:50 AM
  • I am not really wanting to use RAID and I am leaning towards not being too bothered about having single shares as  I have had it like that before, what I am wanting to know is will WHS 2011 notify me when drives are failing like WHS V1 did, also are there any other things I can do with WHS 2011 without the need for RAID or 3rd party add-ins?
    HMG

I've got WHS up and running without RAID.

As my VIDEOS server folder is bigger than 2TB, I've got two 2TB drives spanned. Just make sure you've got proper backup solution for that kind of setup, as it doesn't incorporate any kind of redundancy.

I don't think WHS 2011 will report drives failing in the manner WHS v.1 does.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:58 AM
    HMG

I've got WHS up and running without RAID.

As my VIDEOS server folder is bigger than 2TB, I've got two 2TB drives spanned. Just make sure you've got proper backup solution for that kind of setup, as it doesn't incorporate any kind of redundancy.

I don't think WHS 2011 will report drives failing in the manner WHS v.1 does.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...

like you my Videos folder is the largest, I am not too bothered if anything happens to the drives as they everything on them is backed up. The Only thing that I am bothered about with Spanning, is if the drive fails then I have lost everything, and when it gets replaced then I have to put everything back on, but thats an idea. Plus I have 2x2tb hdds at the moment and plan on adding more.
    HMG
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:35 PM