Backup of the server so so so SLOW.... RRS feed

• Question

• WHS 2011

Yes I have read the tons of other post from users with same issue.  The one thing they all seem to have in common is that there is never an answer or if they found an answer they failed to post it.

Trying to backup to my a WD 1TB drive.  I have backed up for 6 days.  The first backup took 12 hours. I expected that.  What I did not expect is the each and very one of the next back ups of just the SYS drive took at least 4 hours or longer.  I have tried this same backup several times using both the USB2 connection and the e-sata connection for the hard drive. There seems to be no difference in speed between the two.    So I thought there may be something wrong with the drive.  After running check disk and WDC extended drive test, they showed no errors.

To be clear I have removed the drive from the backup server and then each day I have added it back using the server backup config wizard.  I answered yes to the question where it tells me the drive already has data and do I wish to add backup to the drive.  I then made sure to select only the system drive when the wizard displayed what was to be backed-up.  

So does everyone's WHS 2011 server act this way on a server backup or am I one of the lucky few that get to enjoy this experience.  

Thanks for any help..... 

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:13 PM

Answers

• Er, you write:

" I have removed the drive from the backup server and then each day I have added it back using the server backup config wizard. "

Why on earth are you doing that? Just leave it alone, or disconnect it by removing the cable if that is what you want to do. You can just unplug it and then plug it back in - you don't need to re-run the Server Backup Wizard every time.

I suspect that what may be happening is that you are confusing WHS 2011 and causing it to do a complete Server Backup every time, instead of an incremental backup of files that have changed.

• Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Tuesday, July 17, 2012 6:42 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:22 PM
  • To add to what Geoff says, with which I agree, leave the drive connected via eSATA which is very much faster than USB2. You will probably find that, provided you have plenty of space on your backup drive, server backups will take minutes rather than hours.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:05 AM

All replies

• Er, you write:

" I have removed the drive from the backup server and then each day I have added it back using the server backup config wizard. "

Why on earth are you doing that? Just leave it alone, or disconnect it by removing the cable if that is what you want to do. You can just unplug it and then plug it back in - you don't need to re-run the Server Backup Wizard every time.

I suspect that what may be happening is that you are confusing WHS 2011 and causing it to do a complete Server Backup every time, instead of an incremental backup of files that have changed.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:22 PM
  • To add to what Geoff says, with which I agree, leave the drive connected via eSATA which is very much faster than USB2. You will probably find that, provided you have plenty of space on your backup drive, server backups will take minutes rather than hours.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:05 AM
  • How about when I just power the drive off and then back on the next day.  I tried what you suggested the first couple of days and it does no make a difference if the drive is powered on the whole time or not.

So the concept of creating an archive for off site back up is for the birds.  I don't get it. I was thinking the whole idea was to unplug the drive take it off site and to then replace it and the next day. In order to do that you must run the backup server wizard .  Is that not correct?   You do the same thing again with a another drive to complete the cycle.  I am pretty sure I was simulating that form of backup. So when you bring the drive back from off site and plug it back it you can count on a 4-6 hour or longer back up window.  Goffc1, that is why someone would unplug the drive using the wizard.  

Confusing WHS LOL. If if is so confused why does WHS show all the previous backups on the drive and why does WHS let me restore store files from any of the  backups that were created.  WHS knows the contents of the drive since it scans it before the backup process begins.  If  WHS was backing up the whole data set new each time I ran the drive connection wizard, why is the size of the used space on the drive not increasing in a multiple of the number of backups stored.  So if on day 1 it stored lets say 100gb on the drive and the next day it was confused and backed up the whole data set again would stand to reason that there would be 200gb on the backup drive.  That is not happening.

Ok, drive still plugged in from yesterday.  Did not remove it using the wizard.  Currently doing a server backup of the SyS drive only. Approx. 28GB of data. Showed 50% completion in under two minutes.  So I am wondering, out of the 28GB on the SYS drive how much of that data has changed since yesterday.  I am guessing not much.  Yet I am still watching as it gets to 80% in 35 minutes. 86% in a blazing 1 hour,   Using the E-Sata connection the backup completed in  90 minutes.  Impressive.....NOT

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:31 PM
  • How about when I just power the drive off and then back on the next day.  I tried what you suggested the first couple of days and it does no make a difference if the drive is powered on the whole time or not.

So the concept of creating an archive for off site back up is for the birds.  I don't get it. I was thinking the whole idea was to unplug the drive take it off site and to then replace it and the next day. In order to do that you must run the backup server wizard .  Is that not correct?  

No. You only run the server backup wizard (a) when first setting up a new backup drive, (b) when you want to change the folder selection for the backups, or (c) when you want tell WHS 2011 that you will no longer be using that drive for future backups.

Once you've run the Wizard to let WHS 2011 identify the drive (and format it for VHD format backups), and chosen your backup folders, that's it. You can then run a backup, unplug the drive and take it off site for storage. It's what I do. I rotate two drives offsite. I simply unplug them (obviously not when WHS 2011 is taking a backup). You don't need to use the "safely remove hardware" wizard of Windows Server 2008 R2 - just unplug the drive. Unlike WHSv1, which did have a "safely remove a drive" function in the WHS Console, WHS 2011 does not have this function in the Dashboard. It's not necessary for USB drives, and as long as you've got AHCI enabled in the BIOS, not necessary for eSATA or internal SATA drives in a removable bay either.

• Edited by Geoffc1 Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:42 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Confusing WHS LOL. If if is so confused why does WHS show all the previous backups on the drive and why does WHS let me restore store files from any of the  backups that were created.  WHS knows the contents of the drive since it scans it before the backup process begins.  If  WHS was backing up the whole data set new each time I ran the drive connection wizard, why is the size of the used space on the drive not increasing in a multiple of the number of backups stored.  So if on day 1 it stored lets say 100gb on the drive and the next day it was confused and backed up the whole data set again would stand to reason that there would be 200gb on the backup drive.  That is not happening.

WHS 2011 will quite happily lie to you that old backups are available when they are not. That's the punchline of this particular saga.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  It make sense what you say.  I thought I read the documentation and I swear I did not read it the way you just explained it.  Maybe the the folks at MS need to have you re-write their manuals in plain English.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:54 PM
  • WOW ....I guess you can speak from experience.  Maybe I need to have a backup plan (sorry about the pun).  How about using DirveImage XML to backup my C: drive just in case Murphy comes a calling.  I see now why MS is not going to develop another version WHS.  They have just out done themselves with this one.    Do you have other blogs pointing out the pit falls of using this software.  I am really thinking about going back to WHS V1.  At least I had a pretty good feel on how it worked, unlike this version.  Thanks again for the help.

Oh to be clear about your last post.  Once you set up a backup drive.  You can just unplug it....take it off site and then set up a second drive.  Once you have set both drives all you have to do is just plug them into the server prior to doing a backup and you are good to go.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Sorry to be off topic....just read your last blog posting and my question is: If you were looking for a replacement for your server ,1-2 years down the road, what will fill the void for the WHS user.   
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:10 PM

So the concept of creating an archive for off site back up is for the birds.  I don't get it. I was thinking the whole idea was to unplug the drive take it off site and to then replace it and the next day. In order to do that you must run the backup server wizard .  Is that not correct?  

No. You only run the server backup wizard (a) when first setting up a new backup drive, (b) when you want to change the folder selection for the backups, or (c) when you want tell WHS 2011 that you will no longer be using that drive for future backups.

Once you've run the Wizard to let WHS 2011 identify the drive (and format it for VHD format backups), and chosen your backup folders, that's it. You can then run a backup, unplug the drive and take it off site for storage. It's what I do. I rotate two drives offsite. I simply unplug them (obviously not when WHS 2011 is taking a backup). You don't need to use the "safely remove hardware" wizard of Windows Server 2008 R2 - just unplug the drive. Unlike WHSv1, which did have a "safely remove a drive" function in the WHS Console, WHS 2011 does not have this function in the Dashboard. It's not necessary for USB drives, and as long as you've got AHCI enabled in the BIOS, not necessary for eSATA or internal SATA drives in a removable bay either.

Ok I just tried what you suggested with a second drive I have.  I still had to run the server backup wizard when I plugged the second drive (this drive had already been used for a SYS backup several days ago) in order to choose which drive I was using.  So are these the steps I need to follow when I plug one of the server backup drives into the server?  The way I read your post was that WHS would know that this drive had already been used for a server back and it would proceed with the back up from there.    Thank you.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:25 AM
  •  Do you have other blogs pointing out the pit falls of using this software.  I am really thinking about going back to WHS V1.  At least I had a pretty good feel on how it worked, unlike this version.  Thanks again for the help.

Just search using "WHS 2011" on the blog, that gives you all the posts, like this.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Ok I just tried what you suggested with a second drive I have.  I still had to run the server backup wizard when I plugged the second drive (this drive had already been used for a SYS backup several days ago) in order to choose which drive I was using.  So are these the steps I need to follow when I plug one of the server backup drives into the server?  The way I read your post was that WHS would know that this drive had already been used for a server back and it would proceed with the back up from there.    Thank you.

It's odd that you still had to run the server backup wizard to get WHS 2011 to recognise the second drive again. This should not be necessary. WHS assigns an identification code to each drive the first time it's used and should track it automatically from then on.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 4:41 AM