none
Opening threads with large number of responses very slow RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've been experiencing very slow response time for threads to load, if it has a large number of responses.  For example more than 30 responses.  I timed opening the thread below, and it took 55 seconds and I have high speed internet at both work and home and its slow at both:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/Vsexpressvcs/thread/7f059a96-721e-4748-9cb6-5780f75f3ecd

I can be patient and wait, but I'm concerned if this response time is typical for all users then people trying to view a thread as a result of a web search hit will sit there and wait and think its a dead link or the site is down and just end task. 

Thanks,

Tom Overton
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:30 PM

Answers

• Known issue, we have about 2,000 or so threads with many posts. Paging is in the backlog, but we haven't been able to get to it.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Brent SerbusEditor Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom_Overton Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:08 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:03 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• HI Tom !

I have checked the provided link and its opening in less than 15 seconds for me. I have tried this twice and on both occassions web page fully loaded in less than 15 seconds which i think is okay for a thread which contains like 30 posts or soo.

Note : I have verified this on IE8.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks,
    Hasham

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Hi Hasham,

Thanks for following up with your own results.  I've also tried with IE8 and Chrome and both have been slow for me.

However, what I've just determined is that it seems to be slow only if I'm logged into the forums.  If I'm not logged in, it's very fast to open my above link. 

So perhaps it's something specific to my account.    

Tom Overton
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:12 PM
  • I have tried with Already SignIn with my account. It might be the case when you tried to open the link it will again send verifications for your account.

Thanks, Hasham

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Yes, I remember that topic being already discussed and yes indeed it's impossible to open the thread referenced in 'this thread'.

BTW, are you going to return your 'censored' name back? It is very inconvenient to not see any name associated with the reply. Are you now 'invisible man'?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Known issue, we have about 2,000 or so threads with many posts. Paging is in the backlog, but we haven't been able to get to it.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Proposed as answer by Brent SerbusEditor Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tom_Overton Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:08 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:03 AM
    Answerer
  • HI All !

I have just tested this with below thread;

It contains 44 replies and it took 25 seconds for me to load the page.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/7ed71e2a-1d07-4cba-8d8a-c8a69614bd93

I think is more on the content of the reply. If it contains too much text it will definetly took some time to appear on the page.

Thanks, Hasham

Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Definitely something to do with being logged in or not. Every long thread mentioned here opened in an instant with IE9, FF and Opera if not logged in. When logged in, the browsers complained about some script running for too long in http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.6.1.min.js.

Known issue, we have about 2,000 or so threads with many posts. Paging is in the backlog, but we haven't been able to get to it.

This'll treat the symptom, but it's no cure.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Brent,

The really high response threads are the minority so it doesn't affect day to day use of the forums that much.  Yes paging would be nice at some point, Stackoverflow already has it, but again not a top priority given that most threads have less than 20 replies. 

Thanks,

Tom Overton
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Note : I have verified this on IE8.

@ Hasham

Try it with IE9?

BTW also try the thread reported by Noel Carboni as discussed here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/d391d98f-ae3c-4b47-8775-5148a733b458

Note the IE9 Dev Tools Profiler result I got?  Does IE8 show similar high use of

offsetWidth (from jquery-1.6.1)

?

FWIW the content seems to be available almost instantly.   E.g. we can click Stop if we just want to read it.   It is filling in all the avatars and other graphics which seems to be taking the time.   And as I mentioned to Noel if you just want to read the last post the RSS feed is a snappy workaround.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:42 PM