Windows Vista Shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem here obviously. I bought a laptop late last year (a dv2620us hp pavilion) and it came pre installed with Vista Home Premium.

The Internet explorer kept crashing so I had a friend do a clean install on it because the recovery discs I made were not working. This friend (who worked for Microsoft in Microsoft Research) had a disc of his windows vista ultimate which he installed onto my computer and used my product key given at the back of my laptop.

Shortly thereafter, I got a warning that my copy of windows was not genuine and later, I could no longer access the system.

Friend no longer available, I got frustrated, formatted and downgraded to Windows xp. Have problems with Hardware drivers. Now I would like to get back onto Windows Vista Home Premium because I'm really tired of the computer crashing.

My question is this. Can I use above friend's Windows Vista Ultimate dvd to reinstall Vista on my computer and use my own product key? Will this cause the same problem as it did earlier?
    If it does, is my ONLY solution to get a recovery dvd from HP?
    Can I use another friend's recovery disc (she has Home Premium) to reinstall Windows Vista Home Premium on my computer and use my product key even though I got my comp with pre installed OS in the US and she bought hers in India. (more difficult than using previous friend's vista dvd, she does not live close by)

I've printed out the instructions given to the other poeple but I don't even want to bother trying if the same thing will happen again.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 11:55 AM

Answers