learning msft products for beginner to industry.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I wrote privously about windows server 2008

I do not work with computers-  not in the field.

I want to eventually be knowledgable with windows server 2008 but first I want to ask for some advice

what would be some good classes to take that would lead up to server 2008? Ido not want to study word or excel etc.. that I am comfortable with. can someone rec some practical classes for a new person to the industry? I've already taken an A+ years ago...thanks!!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:29 AM

Answers

• You might want to look at the CompTIA Network+ and Server+ certifications to give you the basics/foundation before moving on to the Microsoft server certifications.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:18 PM
    Answerer
  • The best way into the field imho is not to jump into the game straight at the top. As suggested before, get some lower certs like A+/Network+. Looks like you already got one. Then, get in on the ground floor somewhere to get some real world experience with those certs you just got. After you are solid with those skills jump on the next cert right away and move on to the next level.

I just got the MCITP: SA at a boot camp. First boot camp I have ever done and it was a great experience btw :). Will do all my certs that way if I can get work to pay for them. 9 days and knocked out 3 exams. Awesome experience. Props to CED solutions in Atlanta, GA. :) Thanks Chris for a great class btw.

I have 4 more buddies headed there in the short term. :)

Good luck Boris. Stick with it. Also, as has been suggested in other threads where people have asked similar questions, you can practice with the OSes like server 2k8 with virtual machines. You can download microsofts virtual PC 2007 and setup a full domain controller and mess with all the roles to get familiar. Then just ask your boss for some more responsibility to use that knowledge in the real world.

Salute!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:24 AM

All replies

• You might want to look at the CompTIA Network+ and Server+ certifications to give you the basics/foundation before moving on to the Microsoft server certifications.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:18 PM
    Answerer
  • thanks charles putnam

upon complete of a network +   or server +   what would be the next thing to learn for going for the server 2008 concentration?  any help would be great

also, i was looking at Train Signal for dvd practice, but they dont have server +    

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:40 PM
  • check out www.trainit4less.com they have a lot of certification maps and great pricing for any training. let me know if it works out i use them all the time
    Derek Gulizia
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Boris

Once you complete Net+ and/or Server+, you might want to look at the Win7 client exam, then move on to Server 2008 AD, etc.

FWIW, the CompTIA exams are somewhat easier than the MS exams.  You could probably use something like the Sybex book for Server+.  If you wanted to augment it with video training, then check out CBT Nuggets (TestOut doesn't offer anything for Server+ either).  I did check Trainsignals site, and they have Server+ video training under development.

I took a cursory look at train4less.com, and the one thing that stands out is the pricing.  Specifically, if you compare their cost for Server+ training ($1,995) to self-study using something like the Sybex book (about $50) and CBT Nuggets videos ($299), there's a HUGE cost savings to doing self-study.

Monday, February 21, 2011 6:39 PM
    Answerer
  • The best way into the field imho is not to jump into the game straight at the top. As suggested before, get some lower certs like A+/Network+. Looks like you already got one. Then, get in on the ground floor somewhere to get some real world experience with those certs you just got. After you are solid with those skills jump on the next cert right away and move on to the next level.

I just got the MCITP: SA at a boot camp. First boot camp I have ever done and it was a great experience btw :). Will do all my certs that way if I can get work to pay for them. 9 days and knocked out 3 exams. Awesome experience. Props to CED solutions in Atlanta, GA. :) Thanks Chris for a great class btw.

I have 4 more buddies headed there in the short term. :)

Good luck Boris. Stick with it. Also, as has been suggested in other threads where people have asked similar questions, you can practice with the OSes like server 2k8 with virtual machines. You can download microsofts virtual PC 2007 and setup a full domain controller and mess with all the roles to get familiar. Then just ask your boss for some more responsibility to use that knowledge in the real world.

Salute!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:24 AM