A Question for people suffering from non genuine Win 7 recently <-please read-> RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey all,

I hope its ok to do this, mod's let me know if i am crossing any line.

I have a question on this board regarding my win 7 home premium pre-installed bought new HP suddenly saying my windows was not genuine. It was pointed out that i have the wrong key so need to take drastic action to hopefully fix it.

This was all well and good until i just talked to a friend 5 minutes ago.. he also has a pre-installed win 7 Dell and low and behold we figure out we both got the error at the same time, after the update dated around the 30th of Sept..

So my question is, has anyone else suffered the same problem as me and my friend at the same time? ( it would be a big coincidence ;) )

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hello l1ttledb,

I have reviews your previous case and I wanted to explain the issue in greater detail.

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

A)    OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Windows, when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Windows was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

B)     COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. It is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations (sush as if the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason). The key must be activated by Phone. (Note: All manufacturers that use the OEM SLP system are required by contract to include a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker, that has a COA SLP key, on the computer)

Your Windows was using an OEM SLP key, but (for whatever reason) could not see the OEM Bios Flag in the computer’s motherboard and was unable to Self-Activate.

To fix the issue, you has to change out the OEM SLP key with the COA SLP key.

So the issue wasn't that you were using the wrong key, but that the Windows automatic self-activation process failed. Unfortunately, the Diagnostic Report doesn't provide a reason for the failure.

While it would appear from the forums that this is a common issue, it actual occurs in just a small percentage of the OEM SLP version of Windows that are out there. But since it is possible for the self-activation process to fail, Microsoft specifically requires Manufacturers (that using the OEM SLP Self-activation process) to also include a CoA SLP key on the Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) sticker that is always included on those types of computers. The CoA SLP key is there as a safety net just in case of this type of issue.

And while anything is possible, it is unlikely that the updates from around Sept 30th cause the issue for you and your friend. If it had, then it would have happened to more people and we would have seen a surge in this type of issue on the forums, which we have not. (this is one of the reasons I read every thread in this forum as well as the XP, Vista and Office WGA Forums, so I can catch trends like that).

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Monday, October 11, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Darin, Is there any possibility of finding a way to protect those keys from wear and tear (rubbing and fading) and or theft? I know that many manufacturers of laptops are now puting them in the battery compartment but short of placing the sticker on the inside of the system unit itself there is no way to protect the key for desktop computers.

I know that since they changed COA SLP keys to phone activation that has reduced the occurences of theft. The reason I have asked this is because a couple of people have posted that thier sticker was unreadable.

Thanks

Carl

Monday, October 11, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi Darin, IS there a way to find if a machine has been activated by OEM SLP method. Regards, M.Baradharajan
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:23 PM
  • If you have questions or concernes generate a report using the diagnostic tools and post it, look in the first sticky on this forum.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 12:54 PM
  • Hello Carl_OH,

I'm coming to this party a little late, but it's my observation that ever since MS changed the Royalty OEM's CoA from a shiny plastic-coated paper used with W2K and early to mid-XP, to plain paper used with late XP, Vista, and now 7, CoAs have not had the ability to resist a lot of abrasive wear.

I generally don't see much if any wear on desktops (other than from vandalism or idle picking by bored users).  The explosion in the use of laptops and particularly actually on people's laps combined with flimsy CoAs is the cause of the problem, IMO.

Short of MS going back to a tougher CoA label (I'm sure that decision is made at echelons way above our pay grades), it's up to the Royalty OEMs to locate the CoAs out of harm's way, which is what we're seeing when the Royalty OEMs put the CoAs in the battery compartments.  IMO that's a good idea.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:41 PM
  • They have started puting them inside the battery compartment on laptops, the concern I have are the ones on the desktops, I have known of a few business owners and a person who bought a display model that were unable to activate the COA keys when needed because the keys were already in use, this implies that someone wrote down the key and used it at a later time. Also about a year or two ago I saw a thread in a search result on google where a guy was talking about COA keys he had gotten from display computers at a major vendor.

My concern is protecting the COA keys from theft.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:09 PM
  •   Dan's post pretty much covers the CoA sticker wear and tear problem. I will escalate up chain that people are reporting that the newer CoA stickers seems to be more prone to wear and tear, but it's unlikely that I'll hear anything back about it.  They may act on it, they may not.

As a possible suggestion, for user who wish to protect their CoA sticker themselves, I do not believe this breaks any rules, so applying a clear strip of packing tape, over the sticker, would give added protection.

As for CoA Key theft, this has been a problem since a CoA sticker were first stuck on a PC. PCs in their box are relatively safe, it's the CoA stickers on display models that are vulnerable. It is my understanding that back during Win 95 (or maybe 98) this became a common problem and is the primary reason that CoA keys require activation by Phone, by talking to an Activation rep that can ask questions about were the user got the key.

Unfortunately, I can see much more we can do. the CoA key needs to be easily viewable by the computer's owner but that also makes it easily viewable by people Demoing the PC.  I do like the "CoA Sticker in the Battery Compartment" idea used by some manufacturers, but even that confuses some customers and results in (costly) Support calls.

Darin MS
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Hi again,

As you may see i posted a new report after a clean install on my other thread but am worried because even though windows says it valitidated successfully the report looks exactly the same as before?

Also i like the fact that the sticker issue was discussed and escalated but what do the people who this has already happened to do? ie prevention of wear and tear is great but i can't turn back time :) there should be a way of me attaining a copy of my key or something no?

Thanks again and apologies for my slight paranoia haha

Saturday, October 30, 2010 2:10 AM
  • First of all, I hope you aren't having any anxiety over the issue I raised, as Darin says the COA method works and is very safe. Very few people have issues with the keys rubbing or wearing and as for someone writing the key down. Out of the hundreds of thousands of computers sold very very few would ever be subject to a problem with the COA sticker. When you buy a branded computer try to make sure you get one that is sealed in the original box so you know you get everything and that nobody has had the opportunity to write down the COA, I would avoid display models for more reasons than just the COA.

What I would do if I purchased a new computer would be to remove the COA sticker and store it in a safe place with all of my other licenses and documentation. I don't know how MS feels about the end user removing the sticker but I do not see how that could be a problem until time to sell the computer, at that point the sticker, and any disks would need to go with the computer.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 2:35 AM
  • i also had the same problem around 0ctober 22,and it is not yet fixed,my is a compaq 615 with windows7 ultimate pre-installed,it worked for 4mnths before popping out not genuine windows what should i do?

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 7:58 AM
  • i also had the same problem around 0ctober 22,and it is not yet fixed,my is a compaq 615 with windows7 ultimate pre-installed,it worked for 4mnths before popping out not genuine windows what should i do?

Start your own NEW thread, complete with an MGADiag report.
    To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:13 AM