Java on IE9 with Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I cant get any java or javascript sites to work with IE9 in Windows Home Server 2011.  I have Java installed, and scripting enabled.  I have also enabled EVERYTHING in the security settings.  But when I go to a site like time.gov, which uses Java, I get an error or it doesnt even load.  Weird.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:59 AM

All replies

• The problem is that you shouldn't be surfing the web from your server's desktop in the first place.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:30 AM
  • While I avoid general surfing from my server's desktop, I do use it on rare occasions but only because I'm running AV on it and only on sites I relatively trust. I can get to time.gov and I see the map and pick a time zone. I don't even have Active Scripting enabled.

Perhaps if you post the error that you mentioned....

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:52 PM
  • I can pick a timezon on time.gov too, but the realtime clock with seconds doesnt appear.  That's the Java part.  Java does work in Firefox, so I'll just use that instead.  I know how I'm not supposed to use WHS as my primary desktop, but I'm just trying to kill time using it as my primary household PC until I get my Windows 8 touchscreen laptop. :-)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:42 PM
  • You'll be waiting a while if you want a Windows 8 laptop. Windows 8 is at least a year from release, accorind to all the net.pundits. Or you can pick up something from Motion Computing (I like the looks of the CL900) and put the Windows 8 preview on it yourself.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 6:45 PM
  • I have a similar issue. I just bought a TrippLite UPS with has a USB comms output to allow the server to shutdown gracefully when the UPS switches to battery for a period of time. The TrippLite program called PowerAlert will not run, since it needs a java runtime.
    NormJ
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:37 AM
  • I have a similar issue. I just bought a TrippLite UPS with has a USB comms output to allow the server to shutdown gracefully when the UPS switches to battery for a period of time. The TrippLite program called PowerAlert will not run, since it needs a java runtime.
    NormJ

Not that it helps you, but the APC PowerChute software runs fine on both WHS1 and WHS2011. Can you use the native Windows functionality for your UPS?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, October 24, 2011 10:39 AM