Issues with WHS 2011 and Windows 8 installed on Lenovo H520 desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased (yesterday) a Lenovo H520 desktop that had Windows 8 as the OS.  Once I figured out how to get to the BIOS to enable legacy so that I could install from DVD I thought all was well with the world.

Once WHS 2011 started installing I thought I was in for smooth sailing, unfortunately, no such luck.  About half way through the install I got driver error issues.  After trying ever trick in the book that I knew I finally contacted Lenovo's technical support, which then directed me to their hardware department only to have them tell me that I needed to contact their technical (software) department to order recovery disk (to reinstall back to Windows 8) since there was no way to install the drivers since there was no updated drivers for WHS 2011.

Basically, I want to know if anyone else out there has encountered this issue and if they did how they resolved it.

Monday, November 4, 2013 4:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Would you please let me know the detailed information about the error you have received during installation? Regarding the hardware drivers for WHS 2011, please understand that WHS should use Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers first if available, the Windows 7 x64 drivers (which should be the same as 2008R2), then lastly Vista x64 drivers. Please try to refer to the following article to see if it could help.

Troubleshooting Windows Home Server 2011 Installation

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/add-drivers-2.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, November 26, 2013 12:01 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 8:11 AM