Custom Dictionary Feature Request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

It would be highly beneficial to include a feature by which we can add our own dictionaries phrase tables and/or translation memories. This could either be in a way that user specifies his dictionary from his/her user console or by inclusion of such data with API functions. In the long term users will get better translations and your translation tool will have much better examples  to build on. Another online tool claims to have this feature, I tried to use it but never could manage to involve my own phrases. This feature should also have an option to include part of speech information, so that I should be able to define the translation of (for example) "debut album" | "çıkış albümü"|phrase|category:music. This kind of specification would also lead to better domain adaptation.

Edit: This will be useful proper names as well. A hypothetical example we can define "Micro Soft" as proper name so it will not get translated as "small soft" to another language.

Before translation, users can also define the domain of the text. If user has a previous information that (for example again) an article is about music, translation tool may direct it to a specifically trained "music" server. Such a statistical system may have previously been trained with domain adapted text. For music these subjects can be music  related subjects like sound engineering, arts, biographies(mozart, beethoven, etc) etc. For computing, this categorization can include computers, math, algebra, electronics etc.

Regards

Edit: I have realized that this feature is introduced by AddTranslation method which is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff512393.aspx. However I think I need more examples to see the feature in action. Could someone please show an example on how we can alter the standart output by the input of our translation memory please? Does it work on full sentence pairs only or does it count the examples provided by us as a translation option?

Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:45 AM

All replies

• Good suggestion for an example. I will provide it later on.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

It would be highly beneficial to include a feature by which we can add our own dictionaries phrase tables and/or translation memories. This could either be in a way that user specifies his dictionary from his/her user console or by inclusion of such data with API functions. In the long term users will get better translations and your translation tool will have much better examples  to build on. Another online tool claims to have this feature, I tried to use it but never could manage to involve my own phrases. This feature should also have an option to include part of speech information, so that I should be able to define the translation of (for example) "debut album" | "çıkış albümü"|phrase|category:music. This kind of specification would also lead to better domain adaptation.

Edit: This will be useful proper names as well. A hypothetical example we can define "Micro Soft" as proper name so it will not get translated as "small soft" to another language.

Before translation, users can also define the domain of the text. If user has a previous information that (for example again) an article is about music, translation tool may direct it to a specifically trained "music" server. Such a statistical system may have previously been trained with domain adapted text. For music these subjects can be music  related subjects like sound engineering, arts, biographies(mozart, beethoven, etc) etc. For computing, this categorization can include computers, math, algebra, electronics etc.

Regards

Edit: I have realized that this feature is introduced by AddTranslation method which is documented at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff512393.aspx. However I think I need more examples to see the feature in action. Could someone please show an example on how we can alter the standart output by the input of our translation memory please? Does it work on full sentence pairs only or does it count the examples provided by us as a translation option?

i second this feature request.  If you allow users to submit more translated phrase to you, it would be benefit to all users in the long run. keep the submitted terms in your term database for other users.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:40 AM
  • Hi NuFatcat,

Thanks for revitalizing this feature request (posted almost a year ago).  Yes, this is a great feature and it’s beneficial to all of us.  We totally concur with you and msalperen.  We will try to work on this feature and will announce it at this forum when it’s ready.  Thanks for your feedback and feature request.  Best regards, Takako (Microsoft Translator Team)

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:44 PM