Please help I am not shore if I can fix or do I have reinstall win XP home sp2 (oem) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I recently had my computer upgraded (new DDR RAM) at a computer store. I still am paying off the bill and can not afford to have the computer shop help fix this problem. I am a disabled student and need a working windows operating system at home to help with study.

Before upgrading the computer, I found out I was running a nongenuine version of XP pro. So I decided to pay an extra $160 for an genuine OEM copy of XP home on top of the cost of the RAM I purchased. 

The first thing I did when connecting to the internet was activate windows online. But their were no updates available for the computer, When I looked over the installed programs I saw a program called AutoPatcher. Looking it up online I found out it updated my windows XP home operating system on my computer (off the internet).  

About a month past and I knew I had to update the computer (windows XP home) so I downloaded a update for AutoPatcher and ran it. I recieved many different errors and the update did not work. It just kept giveing me every error imaginable and terminated every time before finishing.

Now the computer will not run any of my programs properly and  I keep geting ilegal operation errors with several of the programs I run on my computer. The computer is also running verry slowley. Slower than ever before. 

I have tried to remove AutoPatcher but it is not in add/remove programs and also does not have an uninstall command. I have tried looking for answers on the AutoPatcher web site and also different other web sites but found nothing useful or helpfull to remove the program.

Do I have to reinstall XP home?

If so, how will I activate it as I have already activated it once (online).  Will activating it a second time prevent the extra optional updates receivated by genuine windows operating systems? A friend and I re-activiated win XP pro upgrade on my friends lap top and now he only gets the recommended updates and never any custom updates.

I really can not afford another copy of win XP and am regretting updating my computer as it was running better before the upgrade and change to a genuine copy of the XP operating system.

If their is any one that can help me with some advice on how I can fix this? I would greatly appreciate it.  My Email address is  addka28@yahoo.com 

Thank you,

Sunday, June 18, 2006 12:37 PM

Answers

• Addka:

I'm sorry, but we can't support non-WGA related issues on the forum here, its out of the capabilities of our group. (I'm not quite sure what "Autopatcher" is).

I suggest filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com - however, if your copy of XP Home (from the diagnostics output) is genuine, I would suggest a clean reinstall of your XP Home operating system.

Thanks,

-phil liu

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:51 AM

All replies

• Addka,

Please follow these simple steps to get assisatnce:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or in the materials that came with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering? 

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, June 19, 2006 1:54 AM
  • Hello

I have the whole packet (with disk)here that the win XP came in, It has a green (light) green yellow and blue sticker {Proof of Licence Certificate of Authenticity}. Price of $160

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition   version 2002    it also has two white messages on the frount Asia-Percific countries and Microsoft OEM System Builder Licence software.

1. Windows XP Home

2. Windows(R) XP Home Edition OEM Software

3. No other manufacture(s) apart from Microsoft is printed on the package. It is in plastic,  A small green book with a disk (CD) attached to the back and 2 stickers on the back one a barcode the other is very fancy light green, yellow and blue has product key in very small font (typing) and two clear like windows with a metalic like strip through the windows.

I never really looked at this till now,says; Sticker should be on computer but I will keep it in a safe place, as I have lost 3 computers due to thieves breaking in to the house so far. It is a really bad area for that here.

I have just run that program (from link above) Should I copy and paste the results?

Is this info any helpfull? This machine/computer is really unusually slow. Thanks for your help though I greatly appreciate it.  

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:15 AM
  • Addka:

I'm sorry, but we can't support non-WGA related issues on the forum here, its out of the capabilities of our group. (I'm not quite sure what "Autopatcher" is).

I suggest filing a support request at www.support.microsoft.com - however, if your copy of XP Home (from the diagnostics output) is genuine, I would suggest a clean reinstall of your XP Home operating system.

Thanks,

-phil liu

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:51 AM