Replacing MOBO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am going to be changing my MOBO to a full server board with 2x Opteron chips, there are a few reasons I am doing this (my current setup is only single core and supports 1GB RAM, doesnt have Gigabit onboard or GPU onboard)

This new board has all the above and more, so can I just reinstall the OS onto the drive that WHS is currently on? BUT then what do I do with the storage drives??

I have had nothing but trouble with my current setup and I think that some of it was down to the MOBO so changing that I hope (touch wood) will improve it dramatically

Also is WHS limited to 3.75GB of RAM as are other 32 bit OS? (I only ask because this board can handle 32GB of RAM, while I wont be using that much I would like to use whatever I can)

Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:53 PM

All replies

• You can try booting on the new motherboard, but if you're changing processors, probably it'll bluescreen. In that case, you need to go through a server reinstallation. Leave all your storage drives connected, and make sure that you supply any drivers needed at appropriate times. There's an overview of the procedure in this FAQ.

Memory: you'll have the same limit as Small Business Server 2003.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:03 PM
  • I'm getting ready to do the same thing, but was going to set up the new mobo first and then transfer data (just to avoid the inevitable BSOD).  My big question is regarding my WHS license--can I transfer it to a new mobo after doing a fresh install?
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Strictly speaking, your license is tied to your hardware, much like an OEM computer, so theoretically you aren't allowed to move the license. That said, Microsoft has been very understanding about upgrading the Windows Home Server hardware platform. Just go through phone activation, ask nicely, and normally you won't have any issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:43 PM
  • "Tiberium" wrote in message news:a62a7b2f-679f-4bfd-8d0f-17ad0a5a8ab8...

Hi all,

I am going to be changing my MOBO to a full server board with 2x Opteron chips, there are a few reasons I am doing this (my current setup is only single core and supports 1GB RAM, doesnt have Gigabit onboard or GPU onboard)

This new board has all the above and more, so can I just reinstall the OS onto the drive that WHS is currently on? BUT then what do I do with the storage drives??

I have had nothing but trouble with my current setup and I think that some of it was down to the MOBO so changing that I hope (touch wood) will improve it dramatically

Also is WHS limited to 3.75GB of RAM as are other 32 bit OS? (I only ask because this board can handle 32GB of RAM, while I wont be using that much I would like to use whatever I can)

Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:43 AM