'Junk files' in shared folder RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still in the experimental stages with WHS and my HP MSS, and have come across something that's a bit frustrating.

In my shared music folder I have exactly nine MP3s. When I access this folder from the desktop on my laptop it shows there are nine songs in there, as you'd expect.

However when I access the same folder through remote access it shows the nine songs, plus another 14 files called 'AlbumArt' with a whole string of numbers after that as part of the file name. I'm assuming this is the metadata of the MP3s.

Of course everything is listed alphabetically so AlbumArt is mixed in with the actual MP3s.

Even when I RDP into the server the AlbumArt files aren't listed in the Music folder, so why do they only appear when it's accessed remotely?

The whole thing just looks untidy and isn't how I assumed remote access to shared folders would look/work. Once I transfer my whole collection over the folder will just be swamped with AlbumArt files, so just wondering if anyone knows how to set it up so that these files aren't displayed, and that in the Music folder there really is just music!

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:03 AM

Answers

• The jpegs are just the way Windows Media Player works.

Remote Access doesn't know that this jpeg is a photo of Aunt Martha (the one with a mole on her chin), but that jpeg is actually album art that nobody wants to know about. And there's no setting for Remote Access to hide hidden, system, and/or read only files.

Here's a feedback item I've just submitted to Connect.
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 12:00 PM

All replies

•  corksta wrote:
    I'm still in the experimental stages with WHS and my HP MSS, and have come across something that's a bit frustrating.

In my shared music folder I have exactly nine MP3s. When I access this folder from the desktop on my laptop it shows there are nine songs in there, as you'd expect.

However when I access the same folder through remote access it shows the nine songs, plus another 14 files called 'AlbumArt' with a whole string of numbers after that as part of the file name. I'm assuming this is the metadata of the MP3s.

Yep, it's the album art that is shown in WMP.

corksta wrote:
    Of course everything is listed alphabetically so AlbumArt is mixed in with the actual MP3s.

Even when I RDP into the server the AlbumArt files aren't listed in the Music folder, so why do they only appear when it's accessed remotely?

They are hidden system files (which is why you can't see them normally through Windows Explorer).  Unfortunately, they are shown in Remote Access.

corksta wrote:
    The whole thing just looks untidy and isn't how I assumed remote access to shared folders would look/work. Once I transfer my whole collection over the folder will just be swamped with AlbumArt files, so just wondering if anyone knows how to set it up so that these files aren't displayed, and that in the Music folder there really is just music!

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Those files are there.  If you turn on the option to view hidden files and folders on your laptop you would see them as well.

These are just small .jpg's of the album covers that show in Windows Media player when you play the songs.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:21 AM
  • So I guess my options are either don't use WMP to play the music which will stop all the jpeg files turning up, or just deal with it and realise there's more important things in life!

Is this something the developers would look at fixing? Just seems a bit strange that even though they are hidden files they still show up in remote access.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 7:46 AM
  • The jpegs are just the way Windows Media Player works.

Remote Access doesn't know that this jpeg is a photo of Aunt Martha (the one with a mole on her chin), but that jpeg is actually album art that nobody wants to know about. And there's no setting for Remote Access to hide hidden, system, and/or read only files.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 12:00 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    The jpegs are just the way Windows Media Player works.

Thanks for that Ken. I get a 'Page Not Found' error when I click in the link though.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:45 PM
  • I believe you need to log in to Connect. You may need to register and request access to the Windows Home Server connection as well, but if you want to be involved with the public beta of PP1 you will need to do that anyway.
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 3:46 PM
  • I wouldn't say there's "no way".  Granted, it isn't foolproof, but couldn't this album art be done as an alternate data stream on NTFS volumes?  Granted, it would be lost when transferring to a FAT or FAT32 volume, but I would think that would still be programmatically doable if one realized the limitations.  Just a thought.

Friday, April 4, 2008 5:28 PM